Alternative shell for elders

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Alternative shell for elders

Postby breid » 04/24/09, 5:31 pm

Hope this is the proper venue.

I've been tasked with putting together a PC for use in an elder care facility. I'd like to put together an easily accessible shell/menu for the machine - here are my desired requirements:

- Should support multiple users. I can use the windows logon screen for this if necessary.

- interface allowing large customizable icons. Single click access, as this will be a touchscreen interface

- I'd prefer to design as much of the graphics for the shell myself as possible.

- I'd like as much integration as I can have. It would be preferable to create one consistent look and feel from machine boot to shutdown. I realize I can't do that with the applications they run, but I'd like to encompass most anything else.

- Ideally, I could create some dumbed-down method for the caregivers to add a new user with some preferred applications.

Any suggestions among the various alternative shells out there? Which one could I implement with the most flexibility/least work?
breid

Postby bob » 04/24/09, 9:04 pm

Possibly some of the shells used in schools and for kids would answer your needs. Have you looked at our list?

http://shellcity.net/cgi-bin/DB_Search/ ... es&topic=A
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Return to Own The Machine