What was that app???

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
waitstate

What was that app???

Post by waitstate » 02/26/09, 6:36 pm

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. A while ago, Shell City had a link to a utility that I am in dire need of now, but I cannot remember what it was called.

It was an XP file naming hack or utility that allowed you to keep the extension intact when renaming a file. that is to say, when renaming a file, only the name changed, not the extension. I believe it worked by highlighting only the file name and not the . extension part of the file name, when right click, rename, was selected on a file. IT WAS NOT PHLOX. If anyone can tell me what this app was, I would greatly appreciate it as I have over 1000 jpegs to rename.

TIA, waitstate.

SOD
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by SOD » 02/26/09, 10:43 pm

Not sure if this will help with the volume you have to do. Go into preferences and hide known file extensions when viewing folders. Then it is a matter
of selecting all the files at once and renaming the first file. The rest will rename in consecutive order.
The mime or extension will remain intact.

There is a file rename utility that was a recent addition that was more robust than this solution but that is cheap and quick. See if I can find it.
It is better to be here than there - SOD

waitstate

Post by waitstate » 02/26/09, 11:36 pm

thank you for the suggestion, but thats not what i'm looking for. each of these files need a specific name that has no order, but more of a description of the image, so no sequenced naming will work. they are actually in sequence now as 000001,000002,000003, and so on. i tried hiding the extension, still does not keep the file type when renaming. still get the "changing file type" message. right now, i have to be very accurate when i highlight the file name so as not to over write the .jpg, and it is a serious PITA.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 02/28/09, 8:32 pm

Hiding the file type like SOD said should work. I have no idea why that's not working for you. Maybe you selected the wrong option?

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 03/01/09, 9:06 pm

Gerry wrote:Hiding the file type like SOD said should work. I have no idea why that's not working for you. Maybe you selected the wrong option?
Yep, as long as they're known file types, there is no way to change the file type, since you have no access to the extension. Unknown file types may not work the same way? Not sure, I always have file extensions visible.

How about this? Will this do what you want?

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830 ... /FlexRena/
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

waitstate

Post by waitstate » 03/09/09, 12:52 pm

thanks for the suggestion, but thats a little more complicated than i'm looking for. i tried the hide extension on another machine and that worked, but not on the original one. now gotta figger that out.

SOD

Post by SOD » 03/13/09, 9:09 am

bump

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 03/13/09, 9:48 pm

What are you bumping it for?

SOD

Post by SOD » 03/14/09, 8:03 pm

Bob removed it but there were 3 spam posts about converting files.