what is wrong with traffic shaping?

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

what is wrong with traffic shaping?

Post by RedRage » 01/30/09, 5:59 pm

I don't get it. Best I can tell most of the crowd against it is P2P users and for better or worse most of that crowd is using it for the "wrong" reasons anyway.

Traffic shaping has been around for a long time it seems the best way to ensure service reliability. It doesn't block your P2P access but may slow it down IF the network is starting to get loaded giving priority to the usually more important data.

Broadband providers do not say you are going to get your 3mb/7mb/15mb whatever all the time only that is what your connection is capable of under ideal conditions. They really don't hide this fact but they really don't go out of their way to make sure customers understand that either.

I say not less shaping but more.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 01/31/09, 2:43 am

And I say "Dedicated Line to my house" LOL :lol:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Post by Dark Shadow » 02/27/09, 12:55 am

I'm not sure people are against traffic shaping because it slows down P2P under certain conditions, I think people are against traffic shaping due to the fact that it is close cousins to overall traffic monitoring and possibly censorship.

No one likes a big brother because even innocent people understand that power such as this is dangerous in the wrong hands. It's hard to know for sure that even a good institute wouldn't use that kind of power for the wrong reasons eventually.

This kind of reminds me of the Blizzard vs Glider case where some very scary precedents are being laid down which could influence further lawmaking regarding copyrights and software control over your computer.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 ... ubling.ars