shell extension that could record navigation statistics?

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
est

shell extension that could record navigation statistics?

Post by est » 01/10/09, 10:12 am

Hi all, is there an shell extension that could record the clicks in explorer, and sort out the 'most visited' folder and exe files, put them together, so I can navigate to the most visited place just click the top of the list.

Just like Google Chrome, if you visit some sites frequently, they'll show up in when you open a new tab.

The idea came to me when there is too much source code folders on my hard drive. Everytime I have to going deep down a folder path can finally find what I'm looking for. Search tool helps sometimes but not very effective. Just wanna explorer to be 'smarter'

RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Re: shell extension that could record navigation statistics?

Post by RedRage » 01/11/09, 12:51 am

est wrote:Just wanna explorer to be 'smarter'
there is a smarter explorer, in fact theres a few. bash seems to be the most popular, seriously who uses windows for programming any more? :-p

so in other words. i have no idea, and i'm bored between football games hehe

maybe a better IDE would help.

est

Re: shell extension that could record navigation statistics?

Post by est » 01/11/09, 4:29 pm

RedRage wrote:
est wrote:Just wanna explorer to be 'smarter'
there is a smarter explorer, in fact theres a few. bash seems to be the most popular, seriously who uses windows for programming any more? :-p

so in other words. i have no idea, and i'm bored between football games hehe

maybe a better IDE would help.
bash is great, but I need a GUI file manager.(preview pic, video, fileinfo, etc.)

Skele
Member *

RE: shell extension that could record navigation statistics?

Post by Skele » 01/23/09, 1:39 pm

That's some food for thought. You sound like a programmer. Wouldn't it be an interesting project to make one? Shouldn't be very difficult, especially with a script language like AutoIt. Just don't try getting a fancy gui, a tray menu should be enough...
Knowledge is power, power is the use of knowledge. But too much power corrupts the individual and eventually the collective...

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 01/24/09, 4:25 am

Here's something to chew on (re:food for thought)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... ulist.html
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

Skele
Member *

Re: re: food for thought

Post by Skele » 01/24/09, 5:05 am

WinAPI huh? Actually i was thinking of something easier and quicker. But then i got to thinking of making a Firefox extension to do the job. Don't know why. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Knowledge is power, power is the use of knowledge. But too much power corrupts the individual and eventually the collective...