Read Write Web, iPhones, and morons and wisdom

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Postby SOD » 01/08/09, 10:15 am

I thought why the Apple iPhone thing bothers me and it is this. Marketing. Most Americans believe anything you throw at them. My wife observed that I can't be marketed to. The more I thought about and she is right.

The idea that the hardware was designed by Apple is a joke. The technology behind that is prior art. Think about it. They could have not been competitive with the price if they had to develop the hardware tech that went into it. This is evident in other hardware examples
as well.

When "experts" give Apple credit for this I begin to wonder if the web has failed its critical mission. To bring a global understanding to how things work. To bring clarity to cultural diversity.

We always gravitate to the Peter Principle. *sigh*

@Bob I use "nix" in a generic sense.
It is better to be here than there - SOD
SOD
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 01/08/09, 3:39 pm

well yeah.

did Asus develop the chip set they use in their motherboard? nope, chances are Intel did. They just move it around to fit their product better.

Did dell develop the hardware in their new MiniITX systems? Nope Intel and a handful of other did, they just had the motherobards and equipment made to fit their cases.

What caused apple so much headache was to figure out how to get all these features into a little handheld devices so they they used in house where they could and then contracted out where they had too to get their parts and design.

Before the iphone no one really thought about a phone that had a touch screen and complete media center built in.. not only that it is a fairly complete internet station. Those few that may have just didn't have the resources to do it.
RedRage

Postby JohnT » 01/08/09, 10:55 pm

Globalization....the concept is not lost on as many as you think. The days have not gone entirely when something was developed in a 2 car garage or basement...things just make it to the marketplace in the rush to beat the competition....the Chinese just happen to have the human resources to be able to cut the bottom-line. That's why everyone farms out their production to them.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby SOD » 01/09/09, 3:01 pm

I think I can explain this so you understand.

The device was around long before Apple wanted to sell a phone. Evidenced by the number manufacturers who build the same phone.

It was already built and being used in the east. Without a market here, to us, it did not exist.

Apple knew the phone existed went to one of the
manufacturers and said, "We want this phone but can you spec the phone to have this processor this memory
and so on." Perhaps the iPhone in its current spec was already available but with no market was worthless and set in a vault. Don't dismiss ATT as just a carrier
in this relationship. My guess is ATT specified the product for Apple. You don't just jump into the embedded market. The product stream is already established.

I can do the same thing if I buy a semi truck. You and I could buy the same semi but the motor, the transmission, the differential, the wheel base can be specified for the buyer and the task at hand. So while the external user experience is the same what it does internally has been specified for the buyer. This is a common practice among OEM manufacturers.

Again, what gets me is that people think that Apple
designed the phone when all they did was buy the best
spec offered and created a market for it.

Any other explanation is folk lore.

Apparently John, globalization is understood but
manufacturing is not.
It is better to be here than there - SOD
SOD

Postby RedRage » 01/09/09, 3:59 pm

the envy has a touch screen too. damn apple
RedRage