Read Write Web, iPhones, and morons and wisdom

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
SOD
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Read Write Web, iPhones, and morons and wisdom

Post by SOD » 01/05/09, 2:57 pm

This takes the cake

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/re ... photos.php

It does not matter if they are phone covers or not. Or that they MAY be releasing OEM iPhones. The "iPhone" was available a year or more before apple made it available in the states. Apple did not invent the hardware they bought an OEM product and slapped software in it. About six months ago saw a video of the original being unboxed, Straight out of China.

I thought everyone knew how cell phone products are marketed. Big electronics company makes it markets it to Japan if it sells there the marketers then figure how to market it in the west. If the Apple faithful believe Apple designed the hardware morons they be. In this day and age I am surprised that people don't understand how disseminating new product to a market works.

Look at the new Blackberry. Has just about the same features as an iPhone. Is Apple suing? No they can't because these features are public domain.

The problem is that the web has come to rely on 25 to 35 somethings for its compendium of knowledge so every year or so the same crap is new again. This like a glacier. The real mass of the technology push is not visible
It is better to be here than there - SOD

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/05/09, 4:09 pm

There was much discussion about cell phone availability and marketing a few years back when the Matrix came out and everyone wanted the phone "Neo" had.

I don't know where or who developed the iPhone though. But gota admit apple marketed and made some fine software for it. I wish it was more open though :-/

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/06/09, 10:20 am

It is all marketing. The only thing apple did was to supply graphics and specs. They have had nix phones in the east for years. Funny how in this day and age the product mfg. / retailer relationship between China and the west has been so protected. We speak of human rights violations in China yet this is the same cultural
relationship that protects trade with the west.

They have phones over there that makes the iPhone look weak.

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/06/09, 10:29 am

Apparently they are not covers for the iPhone.

http://www.itechnews.net/2008/11/25/m888a-mini-iphone

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Could be they did not even supply the graphics.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 01/06/09, 1:48 pm

Read the comments on that first link posted....they are covers.
These phones are more expensive in this part of the world than you can imagine.....possibility they could be mfg. in China under Apple license.....but that doesn't make them cheap. They run about $500 more than in the states.
BTW...the Chinese aren't running around with anything you can't buy there at home.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/06/09, 4:35 pm

i didn't see anything about them not developing the software.

When you jail break it and go in with a terminal it looks pretty much like OSX but thats coming from someone who used OSX like for 2 hours total LOL :-)

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/07/09, 1:46 am

John :roll:

"They run about $500 more than in the states.
BTW..."

No they don't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMbdmdx47wc

"BTW...the Chinese aren't running around with anything you can't buy there at home."

Again refer to the video that was the first thing I ran into. China is the worlds merchandise mart you gotta be kidding me.

Tronics in china ARE CHEAP! If you actually a buyer there is a world there that would astound the avg. person.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/product ... G_8GB.html

In the east it is not a question of getting an iPhone the question is which one?

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/product ... ne_3G.html

or maybe this one:
http://www.cellaz.com/news/3438/ephone- ... iphone-3g/

At a whopping $160 bucks

The far east manufacturers share technology sell parts to each other at cost and cooperate in the market place. All the technology in the iPhone is common domain. It does not come from Steve Jobs and Apple it is the other way around. The counterfeits are not so much counterfeits as they are a matter of shared technology that has been exploited.

The only ones buying the marketing hype are the west
the Chinese know the difference. We are suckers.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/07/09, 3:57 am

i see. yup its they way its always happens. Someone comes up with a good idea..makes a few bucks and others jump on the band wagon. Usually they're cheaper and usually take a quality or support hit, but not always.

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/07/09, 8:28 am

My point was not that the "iPhone" is not a nifty product. The point was that Apple did not design the product. It also gets me that the Apple faithful actually thought that Apple designed this. I suppose it makes them feel better.

There was a time when building state of the art electronics was a matter of getting the parts. Drafting the board having it burned and assembling. It has become harder to get parts state side.

Still there are jobbers out there:
http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/digihome.html

Peruse their catalog. I have built some bad ass audio
and modded manufactured electronics with parts from these guys.

Example:

iPods use a Wolfson D/A converter but do not use it to its full potential there are mods that make it better that usually involve changing resister values and upgrading capacitor quality. There are caps that sound better than others because of what they are made of.
http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

What I find interesting is that most today want sensational instead of quality there is no fidelity in information anymore. :(

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 01/07/09, 8:54 am

Sure they are cheaper in China, but its not the same quality equipment that you buy in the states. Chinese domestic consumption has scaled up in recent years, but the chinese are not accustomed to or demand the level of quality we do. Every country here in this region surrounding China has paid considerably more for this phone. I live here...I'm not too concerned about YouTube's opinion.(can you say counterfeit/quality) It's not the same...I'm telling you. I went to a phone-mart in China last year and had to be careful as "Name Brand" phones were actually falling apart when tryin to see if they worked. Same in Korea's electronics mart...you have to be a savvy shopper. Don't let a lower price dictate your purchase. Then there is after the sale service...Ha! Doesn't exist. You get what you pay for. I'm witnessing it first-hand. I live only a 2.5 hr. drive to the border. Import fees eat up a big chunk of this change. Don't get me totally wrong...there are deals to be had.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/07/09, 9:47 am

"Sure they are cheaper in China, but its not the same quality equipment that you buy in the states."

All Apple did was shop to a spec. The examples were the first things I stumbled across. But please don't tell me that it is not the same technology and shared components I know better. That phone was available long before its appearance here and yes, the east particularly Japan has about a 12 month lead on any phone technology to be had.

As with any merchandise mart be it in Chicago or Beijing there is crap and quality. I don't see much quality coming from Apple lately. There is a 2-3 day wait for an appointment at the Apple "genius bar" apples version of the service counter. Usually the service being done is on iPods iPhones and the like.
I'll bet the failure rate is the same in china. You buy service from Apple it is called Apple Care. It ain't free.

Typing this on a 950 G chip set oem mobo bought new. Cost to me $25.00. Been running 3 years now. Want to guess where it came from? It is all in how you buy.

SOD

Post by SOD » 01/07/09, 10:03 am

Quality has suffered everywhere John must have been a while since you have been here.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/07/09, 3:59 pm

LOL i'm missing the point?

We all know that you can get "cheap rip offs" over in chinia, korea and japan. Its not a new thing.

We all know that much of the stuff americans use everyday is made in chinia. I don't see a problem with it. they make an item usually just as good for cheaper, thats good for us.

who cares who reallly developed the hardware behind the iPhone? Its a solid product. could be better but it is solid.

I don't buy that Apple didn't have anything to do with the software behind it. They may have had help but i think its safe to say the core OS is apples work. Well *nix. whatever lol.

BTW: my old mother board an MSI which i think is Korean made, i used for 8 years. It was working when pulled. best board i've owned.
If the complaint is that Asia is always a head in the tech markets.. find out why and lets see if we cannot talk the US into doing the same :-)

bob

Post by bob » 01/07/09, 4:34 pm

>>>I don't buy that Apple didn't have anything to do with the software behind it. They may have had help but i think its safe to say the core OS is apples work. Well *nix. whatever lol.

BSD
WYSIWTF

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/07/09, 5:13 pm

Just to be clear. those phones linked to are not Apple iPhones.

They are cheaper, have different components and different features. The main thing they have in common is the User Interface.

If you buy wiki and the logo on the real iPhones, it was designed by apple but made in china, even though i don't think the real iPhone was ever released in China... heh..