"announce great software"... Ok will do

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

"announce great software"... Ok will do

Postby Gerry » 10/11/08, 1:12 pm

K, I've been away form SC for quite a while, I used to point out great software (in my opinion [which of course means it's correct]) as I found it, but now I'm hell behind. So I may have picked up some apps (all Open Source or Freeware [or free enough], of course) that you guys don't know about (there's bound to be at least one) so now I'll list all the stuff I can remember. Also Bob, you might find something in here for SC home page if you haven't already listed it all. Hope it's of some use to everybody:

[Warning 1: heavy focus on Windows based apps]

[Warning 2: This list is in pretty random order, so the best stuff could be anywhere in the list. But I think it's all fantastic and worth having on your system.]

Synergy - Move your mouse cursor and keyboard input between your linux, mac and windows machines all via network traffic. Zero hardare, multi OS, KM Switch. Brilliant. (if only using versions of windows see Input Director below)

Input Director - Synergy is great, but is not without it's faults. If just using Windows machines then use this instead as it's better in every way. I wish the two projects would merge. I'm currently using this as I only have Vista x64 and XP machines atm.

Ultra VNC - The best flavour of free VNC clients. (If you don't know what VNC is [which I doubt], you're probably missing out)

Cropper - Cool lite screen capture tool.

Kapi_xp - Doesn't look pretty but is a windows port of a really good/lite/functional contacts manager from KDE Linux

Eclipse - Incredible open source development environment which comes in many flavors to support many different groups of developers. It is Java, but they created their own GUI library so that it would be fast and not have the problems of typical Java GUI apps. I love this as much as Firefox.

XnView (page currently down so linking to Wiki article) - Forget IrfanView, this is the best image viewer on Win, if you don't mind configuring it.

foobar2000 - The new winamp. Requires config but is sooooooooo lite, fast and accurate. This player plays music and nothing else, as it should be. I love this app.

KeePass - The best password manager on windows.

WinDirStat - Bad name but the best windows disk space finder on Windows. I used to use TreeSize.... no comparison.

KDiff3 - The best file comparison tool. Not pretty at all, but the quality is in it's algorithms and coding. This is as smart as smart as you wanted your other difference comparison tools to be and can even do a comparison between three files at the same time.

TeraCopy (free) - Implements the file transfer abilities that windows should have as standard (but hey we're talking about MS here, it's still all Win95 under the hood). I used to use Total Copy... but it's now extinct and this is so much better anyway.

UrlConf - If you want to set up protocol handlers in Windows, this is the way to do it. ie. I have all ssh:// links load up in PuTTY, or irc:// load up in my irc client. (Firefox an most browsers ask the OS how to handle protocols)

XMPlay - The fastest media player you will EVER use! It's instant! Also, "Balls-on accurate" according to the devs and includes a lot of geek humor in the app. I don't use it at the moment (as foobar200 is more my thing), but I'll find a use for it some day. Eye opening application.

Everything by Sysinternals (especially process monitor and process explorer) - ehh I don't have to tell you guys, you already have this stuff installed.

Digsby - Multi protocol for EVERYTHING (except stupid Skype). That includes Facebook (MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn too, but who cares), which is amazing! Upon using this app I became I instantly became IM connected to all 130 (currently) of the people I have as friends on FB. This connectivity has no match. My sister is over in Bali on a Holiday, logs onto facebook.com and starts a convo with me in real time which I get in a regular digsby im window. She does not have to install anything and I do not have to be on FB. It's truly amazing. As well as all the other protocols and mail of course. Currently missing Mac and Linux support, so sorry to anybody in that boat, but they are working on it.

Perfect World International - Now I don't want to praise this too highly, as it is quite a corrupt game and I don't know if I'm having fun, but I do know that I'm addicted. This is World Of Warcraft with a unique business model. You can play the game for free... but you are aided if you buy stuff with real money. I started playing because I wanted to understand the fascination with WOW, but did not want to fork over for a monthly subscription for a game that did not look all that interesting. I do get it now and I could not be more addicted. I am lvl 36 and have not paid a single dollar as yet. The game is boring in the way that I imagined WoW (although to lesser extent, all RPGs have this flaw) would be, but I don't want to stop playing either.

MPlayer (GUI) - The best flv player out there. This may be good for other uses too, but for now I'm only using it for flv.

IcoFX - Simple and perfect icon creator/editor. I have used/looked at all (or all the ones I could find) the alternative apps and this is the best and I have zero complaints about it other than it maybe taking a second or two, too long to load. :)

Paint.NET - If you need to do a quick job and don't want to wait for Photoshop to load, Paint.NET is perfect. I love this app... it's if MS Paint and Photoshop had a baby..... a free baby.... no wait that sounds wrong, but you get what I mean.

uTorrent - Best torrent client last time I checked.

ImgBurn - Free lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning. Nuff said.

UniversalIndentGUI - For coders... One GUI for many different code "pretty printers" (code beautifier/indenters).

Rapid Environment Editor - Yeah up editing environment variables does not need to be done via a stupid interface that was coded for windows 95 and has never been updated despite it's obvious flaws. Use this to edit your environment variables.

TCP Optimizer - Tweak your MTU settings and more.

Hash Calculator - see the link, the screenshot will give you all the description you need.

EvJO Wallpaper Changer - Probably the only decent free changer.

Unlocker - You all already have this right? Unlock files on Windows that are currently in use.

SharpDevelop - C# development is pretty piss to start and this just makes it easier and free.

AND FINALLY!!!!

Wakoopa Tracker - Helps me track all this great software and find new apps which are better than the stuff I'm currently using. If you hop on there don't forget to add me as a friend:

http://wakoopa.com/gerry
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 10/11/08, 8:56 pm

Wow Gerry - an embarassment of riches.... Have to start checking out the ones I didn't know about, especially Input Director
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 10/11/08, 11:54 pm

ya decent list i'll be checking out a couple... Usually use tight vnc when Nxserver or RDC is not available.

Unlocker is pretty nice for those stubborn files but doesn't seem to work over shares, which i guess is to be expected

I didn't like uTorrent when it came out, i stuck with ABC for torrents works great for those slack ISO's.

Mplayer is on par if not better than videolan's vlc

i'm excited to try foobar2000 next week :-)
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 10/13/08, 6:56 am

@red
Used to use TightVNC but Ultra has a few extra features, such as an encryption plugin and seems to be more responsive to me.

I've been to the Nxserver site so many times, but never downloaded it, words such as "our free version" usually make me cringe, because there's a 9/10 chance that it will be badly crippled.

Yeah I used to use ABC and it was good... I forget now why I changed, but I certainly don't regret it, uTorrent is amazing.

As for Mplayer.... well only if you're willing to use the command line as the GUI doesn't support a lot of the features of the app.

@bob > "an embarassment of riches"
LOL, ok. :)
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 10/13/08, 11:00 am

I second uTorrent :D ...Curious as to what you find in Xnview that you feel excels Irfanview?
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby RedRage » 10/13/08, 3:10 pm

NXServer free version i think the only "cripple" is that it has 2 licenses. well couple years ago. there is another version called FreeNX for Linux but i'm not sure if its still being developed.

NX client is not with out a few bugs though but they mostly pop up with pretty specific software.

also NX client can be a huge pain to configure if you never done it before :-/ but it uses SSH for nearly everything from what i can tell ( i'm a huge fan of ssh btw hehe )
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 10/13/08, 5:17 pm

@Red
What do you mean by "2 licences"?

@John
For me it's the speed at which it loads images and the extent to which it lets you configure the app to work exactly how you want it to. I was always missing that when I used to use IrfanView.

But I'm not the only one who thinks it's the best (100% rating):
http://wakoopa.com/software/xnview

Alternatively the reviews for IrfanView are mostly positive, but even the first reviewer (who did not add a review on the XnView page) says ( http://wakoopa.com/software/irfanview?page=2 ):
"Good program, but I like XnView better."

I would agree with that. IrfanView is good.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 10/13/08, 9:54 pm

by 2 i mean 2 client connections at at time. that was my understanding anyway.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 10/14/08, 8:19 am

cool, cheers for the info
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 10/15/08, 6:59 am

@John
For me it's the speed at which it loads images and the extent to which it lets you configure the app to work exactly how you want it to. I was always missing that when I used to use IrfanView.

I really find no appreciable difference in loading images and as configuring an application exactly as you want it...I can't deny that aspect, however there are many overlooked configurations of Irfanview that are not immediately observed.
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 10/15/08, 7:26 am

Yeah that's another thing, I found the interface of IrfanView to be quite awful. However I'm usually the type to look through every single dialog box looking for the option that I need. But it's been a couple of years now since I've used IrfanView, so maybe these things have improved.
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 10/15/08, 8:50 am

Possibly you prefer the explorer view, which can have advantages...other than that I would take a second long look and usage of Irfanview for awhile. I do a lot of graphics work and have used both, but I keep coming back to Irfanview for efficiency and flexibility.
A useful site: http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5
JohnT

Postby SOD » 10/19/08, 7:23 pm

Been using XMPlay for years like the footprint.

I code with SciTE it is versatile just dl and run.

MP3 Gain good gain proc for burning.

Deep Burner

XNView because it has that way cool content menu thingy and any image processing it does
is better that Irfan View. Has that nice crop feature.

FF, OP, Safari, IE 5.5 6 7(!@7% piece of crap)
what I know about IE could cause M$ headaches and a healthy lawsuit 8)

Gmail notifier because it it changes my default mail to Gmail.

Taskbar shuffle

Tiny Spell cause I can't spell.

Eraser love the 35 passes it does and also overwrites cluster tips.

7-Zip quick context access.

Apache & PHP both optimized for XSLT and Xpath. A local dev environment is a must.

cwRsync Red suggested this it is a standalone version of the Cygwin package. Comes with Putty.
It is better to be here than there - SOD
SOD

Postby RedRage » 10/21/08, 6:11 pm

XMPlay is damn nice.. havn't figured out skins yet but the small foot print easily beats out everything i've used since WinAMP 3 i think it was... BTW I used winamp 3 up until i got my laptop and coudln't find the installer again a few months ago. cause winamp really used to kick the lamas ass. :-)

any way ya XMPlay love it.. will still try foobar2000 though
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 10/22/08, 9:17 am

Oh taskbar suffler! I had forgotten about that. I used to use it until I got sick of waiting for a version that works on Vista x64. Then another disgruntled user posted a link to Taskix

It's great! Very lite and works well. I changed over to Taskix on my XP machine too as I like it better. It's actually only 60KB for the 32 bit version, vs shuffle's 631KB size and is so unnoticeable that I forgot I was running it when I made this thread.

@John: I've downloaded Irfan again and will give it another go.
Gerry

Next

Return to Own The Machine