Open DNS Pros and Cons

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Open DNS Pros and Cons

Postby JohnT » 10/05/08, 8:36 am

Any thoughts on Open DNS? I've noticed a faster resolution on uncached pages. I always clear my browser on shutdown so its been a great benefit in speed. Where I live the local ISP is not always the fastest. :lol:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 10/05/08, 2:56 pm

I've used it works pretty good.

I have it on a few systems at work too. few people getting into things they shouldn't. cheaper and easier than setting up a proxy :-)
RedRage

Postby bob » 10/05/08, 3:27 pm

got a site where
i might learn a bit more about it, John?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 10/05/08, 8:29 pm

JohnT

Postby Gerry » 10/06/08, 11:39 am

It's a shame that setting up your own dns isn't as easy as it should be. That's the best way to go if you want speed and flexibility.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 10/06/08, 6:12 pm

Its really easy to setup a caching dns on Linux with Bind.
RedRage

Postby JohnT » 10/07/08, 3:51 am

One drawback of that is you only get the speed on cached pages. My cache is always cleaned on exit. Open DNS still allows you a faster connection than your IP most of the time. Once onsite then its dependent on the content for page to page speed.
JohnT

Postby RedRage » 10/07/08, 1:39 pm

ya that's the point of caching :-)

dns cache and the cache's in your apps are separate. Once setup Binds dns cache rarely needs to be cleared. (I've gone years on moderate use for ~10 people)

Open DNS is basically a Caching DNS with Fat Pipes and some bells and whistles.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 10/10/08, 4:37 pm

RedRage wrote:Its really easy to setup a caching dns on Linux with Bind.

Maybe it is... but yeah I'm not just talking about caching though (hense the "flexability" part of my statement) and setting up bind on a windows machine is another issue. The structure of those zone files just does my head in and it requires you to do so much for something that seems should be quite straight forward. This is probably mostly due to the fact that dns is almost as old as me.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 10/10/08, 4:53 pm

considering OpenDNS is mostly caching, with some filtering built in which also uses a DNS type setup... really not much different.

However if you want to make your own zonefiles. there are some cool utilities that will walk you right through it.

Pretty much create an entry in the named.conf to point to a zone file. The zone file basically points the domain (and subdomains) to an IP or another domain. In most cases you can just take the TTL and such from any other zone file (google for an example zone file)

I've only used bind on windows as a test platform to convert MSDNS to Bind to copy over to a linux dns server which was scrapped because the head admin didn't know anything about linux and didn't trust my script to do it for him.. can hardly blame him.. i was drunk when i wrote it.. heh.. but it worked well for all the times i've used it till a few months ago when i lost it in a server move :-/

i need an anti-rambling program.

EDIT: MSDNS uses the same basic setup only generally less stable and can use registry for the zones if you wish, with a prettier interface.
RedRage

Return to Own The Machine