Google Chrome

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Google Chrome

Post by bob » 09/03/08, 2:42 am

Been playing with it, but though it's fast, it just doesn't (yet) have the features I regularly use, like, always open link in new tab.... I do like that "New Tab" page which shows thumbs of recently opened sites.

What do you all think?
WYSIWTF

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 09/03/08, 12:09 pm

Can't get my Firefox bookmarks to import! It is fast though...almost faster than K-meleon.

Here's a link on a write up...HERE
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 09/03/08, 1:14 pm

Its just marginally faster than when i first installed FF3 with/out any addons.. however i only had time to test with one tab.

I don't like it so far, reminds me too much of IE, the crappy status bar thing sucks and i just noticed that half my letters are not appearing when itype this. ok not that many but about 6 or 7 so far. they're there (i hope) but they just don't display. hmmm...

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/03/08, 10:17 pm

Yeah it seems google have made a lot of false/misleading claims with that browser of theirs. I was really psyched about it after reading that comic describing it and kept refreshing that page till the download it came up. I used it and like most people found though that it seemed faster, but you jump in a flash car and that's the feeling you do get... that you're going fast even when you're not.

I wanted to test what they were saying about this fantastic new speedy javascript engine that they were so proud of, so I went to one of the most resource intensive js scripts I could think of (one that allowed me to scale up to breaking point if need be):
http://nihilogic.dk/labs/particles/

Pop it onto "galaxy" and then run it side by side in FF and Chrome, making sure to give each one turns at having focus and then run the individually, or however you think you can best test it. For me, there was a much smoother result in Firefox compared to Chrome. For a browser which claimed to have a much faster JS engine than the current browsers I found this disturbing, so decided to wait for the benchmarks to come out which proved their clamins.

Those benchmarks came out and then it became clear where the speed gains were coming from, and it wasn't the engine...

Here are the benchmarks that Google's released:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html

If you're gonna lie at least make it a convincing one Google. Anybody who runs the browser can tell it's nowhere near those levels if is infact any faster at all.

And now some stats from a google employee:
http://limi.net/articles/google-chrome- ... s-and-more

Surprising how they don't even come close and this guy works on the damn project!!!

Then Mozilla decided if Google get to use their benchmarking tool, then Moz should get to use theirs:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/03/mo ... enchmarks/

...and then finally some guys who have been running similar tests for a couple of generations. Sure the analysis of the results is biased towards the hype, but at the same time, their results speak for themselves:
http://lifehacker.com/5044668/beta-brow ... is-fastest

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/03/08, 10:21 pm

oh yeah and I forgot, the most important thing... these are benchmarks from a browser that is basically empty when it comes to functionality. Hell even their password manager just stores your passwords in plain text for all to see, no master password feature, so no encryption baby!!! Their security is a button that says "show password".

As for that process manager they created.... they didn't, they're using the windows process manager. I don't know what I was thinking when I got my hopes up about this. Google always fails big time when it comes to desktop software.

SOD

Post by SOD » 09/04/08, 12:59 am

Not bulky 26,000 compared to FF 40+ in mem
zippy, standards complaint more or less

Reminds of the play "6 characters in search of an author"

except the browser isn't dead 8) yet...
It is better to be here than there - SOD

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 09/04/08, 1:06 pm

hey gerry awesome links good pickup.

I did notice that Google sites like gmail are a ton faster. (imagine that) also my one websites image gallery loads a lot faster as well. i think it has something to do with they way it renders the divs but that is pure speculation

the different processes for each tab is what got my interest in the project but i havent tested it at all. I cannot get past my dislike for it long enough to get that far.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/04/08, 8:11 pm

LOL (but stupid): Type "about:internets" into the url bar. =D

SOD wrote:standards complaint more or less
Well if the acid tests are to be trusted (which they possibly shouldn't be as they actually use parts which haven't become official recommendations yet), then their core is pretty good with standards as the latest nightlies now pass acid 3. Google just aren't using those builds yet... which is fair enough as they're not considered stable.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 09/04/08, 8:57 pm

One of the things I found in Chrome that I like is how it launches one process per tab. I work web applications and some of them tend to crash a lot, taking with them the browser. This way only that tab crashes.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

SOD

Post by SOD » 09/04/08, 9:01 pm

Not a fan of Acid tests. I think they are agenda based.

huh everyone tries to show development progress
with agenda based tests. I prefer iterative unit tests.
Sure the browser passes the acid tests then fails a simple margin selector.

BTW nice write up on the JS and other benchmarks.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/04/08, 9:16 pm

Ohhh.... this rocks btw! Not a new idea but well done Google for bringing it to the browser (unless they're not the first... dunno)! I can't wait for the Firefox extension!!!
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bi ... swer=95635

http://lifehacker.com/5044518/enable-ch ... in-firefox

Yeah John... it's a nice idea, but so far it hasn't prevented crashing of the browser from what I've seen, just locking up and it even still locks up a lot of the time.

bob

Post by bob » 09/05/08, 3:15 am

"Whereas single-process browsers such as Firefox aim for lean, efficient browsing experiences, Chrome and IE 8 are all about delivering a robust platform for reliably running multiple Web apps in a tabbed format in answer to the Web's evolving needs. To do this, Chrome takes a 'purist' approach, launching multiple, discrete processes to isolate and protect each tab's contents. IE 8, on the other hand, goes hybrid, creating multiple instances of the iexplore.exe process without specifically assigning each tab to its own instance. 'Google's purist approach will ultimately prove more robust,' Kennedy argues, 'but at a cost in terms of resource consumption.' At what cost? Kennedy's comparison found Chrome 'out-bloated' IE 8, consuming an average of 267MB vs. IE 8's 211MB. This, and recent indications that IE 8 itself consumes more resources than XP, surely announce a new, very demanding era in Web-centric computing."

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 6&from=rss
WYSIWTF

SOD

Post by SOD » 09/05/08, 9:43 am

""" bobs post that he "" from /....I see /. is up to their
usual level of romance.

I call bullshit, since when should a client carry all that weight in memory. So what is the rule of thumb now?

<i>The next generation of computing will be more bloated but just as useful (or useless) than the last.</i>

I just love it with all the talk of futuristic application
(like always) and acid tests that are bullshit we have pretty much forgot about namespace support in I.E.

BTW they already support namespaces they have to for
Office but they will not initialize and execute for IE.
There is a server proof of concept that shows that IE
does support the XHTML namespace.

So M$ cash cow (office) is safe. Google is slowly rising to their level of their own incompetence without actually delivering a new generation.

It's not about any application it is about information.
Information does not need an application to be in motion.
Crapware is not going to make that happen average users don't value applications just information.

We still can't synthesize doc types from namespaces
that would be huge. Want the future? A thin client
that would generate application structure based on a
information namespace.

That way the information drives the need for the application to exist. No information no application, simple. 8)

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 09/05/08, 1:23 pm

i'm wondering if chrome is really not ment for everyday use but for use in other google apps. Kinda like the mozilla module you can stick in your own apps. Rather than Google and other devs relying on other companies for their software they can just work in house and if something doesn't work the way they want they can just make it work with out having to go through hoops and submit version requests and such.

just a side thought... i still don't like it as a client browser

SOD

Post by SOD » 09/05/08, 2:03 pm

Here is a link to whats inside...

http://www.catonmat.net/blog/code-reuse ... e-browser/

hehheh good xslt/xml support wonder if it supports namespaces...