Tabs in Explorer

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
grogez
Member **

Tabs in Explorer

Post by grogez » 05/02/07, 12:54 pm

Hi, first time poster.

Came across this (QT TabBar) the other day and fell in love.

http://quizo.at.infoseek.co.jp/freeware/indexEn.html

It took a little fiddling to get it to take up it's own toolbar and the default settings didn't suit me but after that...

I know there is other software that puts a tab bar in a file manager but this one just seems to add the tab bar.

Does anyone have any bad things to say about it? Alternatives?

RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by RedRage » 05/02/07, 1:23 pm

Welcome!

bob

Post by bob » 05/03/07, 12:17 am

interesting...
WYSIWTF

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/03/07, 1:28 am

Just put this on another box. After installing, qt tabbar occupies the right hand side of the address bar. To get it into it's own toolbar I needed to unlock the toolbars (View->Toolbars->Lock Toolbars) then drag the divider between the address field and qt tabbar downwards.

Hope this helps.

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/03/07, 8:22 am

Welcome, this software is neat. So is the desktop google search bar. Nice find.
It is better to be here than there - SOD

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/03/07, 8:48 am

Thanx. It's starting to feel like it was always there or at least always should have been there.

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/04/07, 9:02 am

The Japanese write such cool UI software.
If you are looking other ways to modify your user interface look check out:
http://www.virtualplastic.net/
Many tweaks and applications. Plastic does a nice job
of bringing the best of these to one place.

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/05/07, 12:07 am

I'm afraid that I'm one of those (insert applicable adjective here) people who pay money to Stardock. Don't hit me. Windowblinds etc and ObjectDock Plus (tabbed dock !). I particularly like the dock as well as Judges' Sysstats docklets. They are the most configurable gadgets I've seen - even for a noob like me. I like how any script installed by any docklet becomes available for use by all other docklets. Needless to say none of the five or six I usually run bear any resemblance to any that were originally downloaded.

Anyway, I do actually have VP in my Daily Rot lineup but thanks all the same.

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/05/07, 7:50 am

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/05/07, 9:19 pm

Man, don't tear yourself down. If Stardock works for you then cool. I use software everyday that I had to pay for.
I could not find a freeware version that worked as well.
Stardock is neat software.

*I guess the adjective I would use to describe you is "smart".

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/06/07, 6:29 am

Where I come from, a sod is not a very nice person. There seems to be some discrepancy here between your name and your essence.

Smart (cough) ? Well, it's good of you to say so but I made the mistake once of reading Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers" and by itself this was enough to disabuse me of any belief in (at least) my own intelligence for life. Extremely dry humour though. I'll give him that. Whether the three or four chuckles were worth the devastation of certain ideas is still a moot point.

And yeah, I guess I'm like everyone else. If I can't find free then I buy the best I can although I prefer once off lifetime licences like those offered for example by WinRAR, VSO etc. Can you imagine someone like MS doing this ? OK so you bought DOS way back when, now they give you Vista. Hmmm, Vista, free. Sounds like a fair price.

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/06/07, 12:49 pm

SOD is short for a user name

I can be cantankerous when it comes to how people program for the web. Lots of posers out there talking out their ass about HTML XML XSL CSS etc. They just have not done the research but they know it all. Research takes years a blog entry takes a minute. That crap can piss me off in a heartbeat because what they have promoted makes them look good but does not do any thing to further the information architecture that serves us all. We continue to go backward instead of forward.

Other than that I'm pretty laid back. 8)

"The Sleepwalkers" never read it I don't do much fiction I do alot of research. Good read?

yeah what MS and others do not see is that because of the aggressive EULA(s) they are chocking themselves.

grogez
Member **

Post by grogez » 05/07/07, 4:24 am

Other than that, huh? Well good for you. Go get 'em.

The book is actually non-fiction. It's been a while since I've read any fiction too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleepwalkers

The wiki entry puts it a bit more nicely than I would but you get the idea that if even your favourite genius was a moron most of the time what hope have the rest of us.

I'm out of here for the next week or two so good luck and thanks for the hospitality.