Reboot vs. Restart

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Reboot vs. Restart

Postby georged » 03/22/07, 4:17 pm

Back in 2004, I saved the following information:

rundll32 user.exe,ExitWindowsExec
..to restart Windows,

rundll32 shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 2
..to reboot the computer, and..

I never put it to use, but now want to set up hotkeys to reboot my machine, instead of going through the Start menu. (I use Hoekey, FWIW).

Obviously, there is some kind of difference, as there are two lines. I'm guessing the first one is the Start menu's "Logoff" and the other is the Start menu "Restart". But there's a better than even chance I'm wrong.

Any clarification or elucidation would be greatly appreciated. Hints, tips and tricks also gratefully accepted.

George
georged

Postby RedRage » 03/22/07, 5:51 pm

for the past so many years (duno now) ive just hit Windows Key then U and then R then enter to restart and Windows, U, U enter to shut down.

I think thats right anyway.. i've been using linux for a while and really don't rmemeber off the top of my head.

takes like second to do. Personally I find that learning the native hot keys is just as easy as having some 3rd party software. (granted there are some things you cannot do in GUI's with native hot keys).
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Return to Own The Machine