Optimize Computer

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
amicutilities
Member **

Post by amicutilities » 03/20/04, 7:52 am

Keep your PC running faster, cleaner, and error free with Optimize Computer! This award wining application is a suite of 7 powerful tools designed to increase the performance of your computer, by correcting problems, cleaning and fixing Windows registry, deleting unnecessary files, fine-tuning your internet connection settings, shredding the unwanted files like cookies, internet history and temporary files and more! Download free trial!

More Info: http://www.amicutilities.com/optimize-computer/

Download: http://www.amicutilities.com/download/O ... rSetup.exe

SloppyGoat
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by SloppyGoat » 03/21/04, 4:05 am

Sounds completely dangerous.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Pogrelz

Post by Pogrelz » 03/21/04, 9:44 am

*sigh*

How many of these tools have been made?

How many actually tell you what they are really doing? :)

bob

Post by bob » 03/21/04, 10:36 am

Yes, Pog and Sloppy. I know what you mean.

Worrisome.......

But people want these tools. They want to wipe their tracks, or they don't want to leave tracks, or they just don't want no longer relevant materials on their machine. These only exist because Windows logs and saves so much information.

What worries me most are programs in a position to grab private info (passwords, etc...) and call home with them.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2004-03-21 18:37 ]</font>

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 03/21/04, 11:46 am

I just don't like programs that claim to optimize, but don't exactly tell you what they're doing. I don't let optimization apps go crazy on my files and configuration. After years of testing these types of things, I've learned that they can really screw things up.

Remove junk files - Which ones?
Improve system performance - How? (leave my stuff alone!)
Protect privacy - By doing what?
Find and fix annoying faults - Do I think these are annoying, or does the author?
Increase Internet speed - Again, leave my stuff alone!
Clean and fix Windows registry - Do not mess with my registry, unless I know exactly what was done and have a backup.

Most importantly, is this app going to return all of my settings to default when I decide I don't like it and nuke it? If so, that's not going to be good either, since almost nothing is default now. Will it remove all my custom tweaks??? :o
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 03/21/04, 2:57 pm

yeah it probably will, at least if its written poorly. You can easily tell by seeing how long it takes to make a backup. If it takes a while, its probably doing real backup. If it takes only an instant, runs fine as non-admin on win2k/xp, or takes no time at all, its probably relying on built-in registry definitions. The reason these apps screw stuff up sometimes is because they are hard-coded for a particular OS and/or setup.
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

SOD

Post by SOD » 03/22/04, 8:11 am

I look at it this way someone WWWAAAYYY smarter than us built the OS if it could be optimized it would be.
Sidenote: I hear the new API for LH is quite extensable...
It is better to be here than there - SOD

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 03/22/04, 10:31 am

There's *always* a way to make it better, SOD. However wise the designers are, it is impossible for them to optimize their code for every conceivable application. While one setting may be good for one use, it may be poor for another, and vice versa. Its all about customizing things to your own personal settings.
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?