What happened to RSS?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

What happened to RSS?

Postby Don_U » 07/04/13, 3:43 pm

"Then you spend twice as much time figuring out how to deal with poorly crafted feeds, ambiguities, and edge cases — especially for Atom, which is a huge, overengineered pain in the ass that, as far as I can tell, exists mostly because people always argue with Dave Winer and do their own contrarian things even when he’s right, because they can’t stand when he’s right." - I love this quote, The web could not figure out RSS as simple as it is and no one wants to tell Winer he was right. WE just never used the damn thing properly.

More about the google reader and some wisdom about RSS. I just think it is too simple for programmers who wish to see their code rise like Frankenstein. Simple and native on the web ppl don't get.

http://www.marco.org/2013/07/03/lockdown
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Re: What happened to RSS?

Postby bob » 07/04/13, 5:54 pm

The problem with RSS is, after it started to take hold as a simple, usable methodology for syndication, developers wanted to display whole articles, including graphics and other paraphenalia, with it, like they could in html, in order to keep users on the RSS reader site, rather than just display headlines and summaries which send users to another site for the full article.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 07/07/13, 4:28 pm

It is always a matter of scope. Content creation, the misuse of syntax and the manipulation of item URL's all went fun house mirror. What ever made them think that namespaces (which are forensic) would ever work when the date created element was omitted or not updated. CDATA is still abused badly and misunderstood, add to that special characters and it is a mess and not well formed by the people who should know better.
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 09/13/13, 10:40 am

Parsing a google cal feed it is in Atom....what a bloated POS. So, this was supposed to replace RSS? Crapola. I really wonder if anyone understands what xml really is.

Update what the hell is type="text/html" doing in a feed file? lets just make it text hmmmmk?
Don_U

Return to Free Beer