A design Article For Ya Bob

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

A design Article For Ya Bob

Postby Don_U » 02/19/12, 10:54 pm

This article describes what we are hearing and seeing lately about web design. It ain't pretty, does the web need a diet?.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... ge-obesity
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 02/20/12, 11:49 pm

Great article, Don... I'd like to hear Red and Gerr's remarks on it too, Love the example of Norvig's page... oldschool much?

Naughton says: "Personally, I'm a minimalist: I value content more highly than aesthetics. The websites and pages that I like tend to be as underdesigned as they are cognitively loaded. Take for example, the home page of Peter Norvig, who is Google's director of research. In design terms it would make any graphic designer reach for the sickbag. And yet it's highly functional, loads in a flash and contains tons of wonderful stuff"

http://norvig.com/
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/21/12, 3:54 am

minimalist ftw!!!

I remember back in the day try'n to make sites under 10k total to be sure 14.4 users would be satisfied.
RedRage

Postby RedDog » 02/22/12, 8:40 am

You can see this for yourself by switching on the "view status" bar in your browser; this will tell you how many discrete items go into making up a page. I've just looked at a few representative samples. The BBC News front page had 115 items

I can see this on so many sites; Header, Menu items, Picture, Text and 200 items that make up the adverts. However if it wasn't for adverts the Guardian would not exist and the article would never have been published.

The net is never going to slim down as long as someone is making money. Bandwidth use will just keep expanding so that we all keep calling for more and buying in to the latest innovations and technology.
Regards RedDog

I may be barking and I am quite mad but fortunately this dog rarely bites
RedDog
Member ****

Postby Don_U » 02/23/12, 10:35 am

The adverts are only a fraction of the payload. He is talking about using 2 or more requests to CDNs or delivering a JS application that even with progressive enhancement has to be delivered in 3 requests. The ads are easy. All the other crap even slows me down and I have a very fast connection.

The bloat has to stop sometime. There are even websites that bring my box to a stand still. The bloat does not benefit the consumer, in many cases the bloat comes from gathering consumer information.

The problem with the "Things will just get bigger and bandwidth will just expand" is the cost/benefit ratio and the diminished return for your investment. Moore's law applies in a lab but not with cultural interaction. This rational maybe applies to the seaboard of the United states but does not apply to the interior. Remember that while the seaboard enjoys kinetic information patterns here in the middle of the US it is an entirely different story.

My county the numbers are bleak. While there is cable internet dial up accounts for better than 50% of use here. Of those that have dialup the bandwidth avg is 14.4 kbit/s. Not everyone has the economic, technological, or cultural advantage to use the best carrier available. That is where the bloated, bigger, faster, argument falls apart. While the web is everywhere
the same experience is not. For many, they become discouraged at the velocity of information and their experience and perspective of the web is different.

We need to deliver page speeds that consider the entire transmission spectrum or we are designing things that will cater to a increasingly smaller audience instead of one that will grow.

I was also a little concerned that the author separated aesthetics from content when the aesthetics are shaped by the content. LOL or should be.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 02/23/12, 10:49 am

"Bandwidth use will just keep expanding so that we all keep calling for more and buying in to the latest innovations and technology."

Tell that to a person that is in a wheelchair makes his way from soup kitchen to soup kitchen and still has a pay as you go Boost mobile plan. Information is everywhere, how we transmit that information is everything.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 03/19/12, 6:14 am

Well lets look at the three examples of bloated designs:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
http://www.itv.com/

I find it hard to imagine that these are primarily the work of designers. The designers I know tend to favour lots of white space and simplicity... such as:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

I imagine the bloat of the given examples are far more to do with the business people at each of those sites.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 03/19/12, 2:03 pm

Don_U wrote:Tell that to a person that is in a wheelchair makes his way from soup kitchen to soup kitchen and still has a pay as you go Boost mobile plan. Information is everywhere, how we transmit that information is everything.

when you're going from 'soup kitchen' to 'soup kitchen' one of your last worries is how fast a website loads. I'm just say'n :-D
RedRage

Postby bob » 03/19/12, 8:27 pm

>>a person that is in a wheelchair makes his way from soup kitchen to soup kitchen.

You insensitive clod. You know I go from soup kitchen to soup kitchen.....
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Free Beer