Long armof the (proposed) law

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Long armof the (proposed) law

Post by Don_U » 01/22/12, 10:07 am

Seems Aussie's have to contend with our voracious copyright laws.

https://torrentfreak.com/australia-us-c ... nd-120121/
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by Gerry » 01/27/12, 4:54 pm

Yeah I attended a small talk given by the ceo of that isp (their main hub is in Perth) just recently and accidentally hogged most of the question time asking questions about that case. One interesting point, he said he'd be happy to hand over customer details for the media companies to go after people directly; but that wasn't what they asked him to do, they asked him to shut off Internet access to those people without even providing credible evidence.

I pointed out how when somebody provides free wifi, they are essentially becoming a service provider and so the safe harbour provisions should then apply to them as much as they should apply to any isp. He said he is personally aware of only two lawyers who have ever tried making that case in court. He followed that up by saying that they both failed and they were both his company's lawyers.

I don't hold high hopes for the entire situation. Too many technophobes in charge of making decisions affecting technology.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 01/28/12, 5:19 am

Just not affecting technology but information flow as well. There are people who believe the free exchange of information is not a good thing. Many in the area look at me like a witch because I let the grandson use the iPad.
I think people are still trying to cope with the velocity and scope of the information that passes through the pipes.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones