very good point

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

very good point

Post by bob » 01/09/12, 7:16 pm

An anonymous reader writes with this snippet from The Conversation: "According to the Wall Street Journal, camera manufacturer Kodak is preparing to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, following a long struggle to maintain any sort of viable business. The announcement has prompted some commentators to claim that Kodak's near-demise has been brought on by: a failure to innovate, or a failure to anticipate the shift from analogue to digital cameras, or a failure to compete with the rise of cameras in mobile phones. Actually, none of these claims are true. Where Kodak did fail is in not understanding what people take photographs for, and what they do with photos once they have taken them." Continues the reader: "Looking at camera data from Flickr, of images uploaded in 2011, camera phones only make up 3% of the total. Dedicated cameras from Canon, Nikon and yes, Kodak were used to take 97% of the images. What Kodak failed to understand is that people have switched from taking photos for remembering and commemorative reasons to using photos for identity and communication. The shift changes the emphasis away from print to social media platforms and dedicated apps."

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/01/09 ... lashdot%29
WYSIWTF

Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don_U » 01/10/12, 2:20 am

"What Kodak failed to understand is that people have switched from taking photos for remembering and commemorative reasons to using photos for identity and communication."

Well, that is short sighted, and marginal at best.

WTF!? Oh no, no way did us prehistoric people who grew up in the Baby Boomer years ever use paper photos for ID and communication? What a total dumb It was like people changed how they communicated as a result of the digital experience after 1000 years or more that is non-sense.

What changed was the metaphor for storage and retrival.
You could write a paper on how many ways this screwed Kodak.

That crushed Kodak's professional print and image film market. Think about it, you could not print an offset job without burning a negative. All that sheet film and chemistry and that was only a part of it.

Disclosure:
As a young man I spent every waking hour during the school year in a dark room doing production for the school system. I was the face of child labor :-)
I learned so much in high school I got a job doing that work upon graduation.

The author of that article should realize that the technology was there but a designer emulated the human condition to build Flickr. Again, what really changed? How many people can see that photo album and how many photos you could put in the album.

Please don't point to sharing on the network. People have sharing in networks for 100's of years.

The industrial revolution marches on.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/14/12, 9:32 pm

the person who wrote the story is under 25 and doesn't remember the way cameras used to work. You know you take a picture and then walk to the pharmacy (or where ever) and then wait a week for them to develop it.

Kodak was failing long before social media and the only thing that was keeping them going was the fact that people still HAD to buy film.

its hard to believe slashdot allowed this.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 01/15/12, 12:40 am

Yeah, Red I read the wiki entry for Ectachrome film they talked about how hard it was to process slides. It was C-41 did about 300 rolls my freshman year in high school. What passes for difficult these days amazes me.

About Kodak, I think they were between a rock and hard place. They had to support the legacy of microfilm, print,
and imaging for business. Remember PMTs? It was the way we enlarged/reduced art for composition. It was the only game in town. Each one of those took 2 pieces of paper and a contraption that held two chemicals also made by Kodak. The commercial side
took the hard hit form competition, patent loss, and digital.

It was like they were stuck there and became the unlikely usher to age that was coming to an end.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedDog
Member ****

Post by RedDog » 01/16/12, 12:10 pm

I for one can say I contributed very little to the downfall of Kodak. I preferred Ilford film although the later Kodakchrome films were okay if you wanted colour, particularly the 400ASA which was less grainy than most and easier to buy.

I too spent every minute I could in the darkroom, rather than going to lessons at school. I would wind my own 35mm spools and get about 80 shots on one roll. I think we once managed to squeeze 96 shots in once.

On the weekends I would be off on my bike with my Zenith E shooting roll after roll. Sometimes I would borrow my fathers twin lens large format camera and use that too, but I had to pay for the film. Apart from that all my film, chemicals and paper came from the school for free. I probably used as much as the rest of the school put together. The sad thing is I only seem to have a handful of the photographs I took in my possession. What happened to them when I left home I don't know.
Regards RedDog

I may be barking and I am quite mad but fortunately this dog rarely bites