Got my new machine

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby RedRage » 12/07/11, 4:39 am

UAC has some level settings somewhere. I never played with them i just turn it on or off.

When I have it on for end users its just to remind them to be careful.

In your case bob, unless your installing stuff and not pay'n attention to what it is... i would just disable it.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 12/07/11, 4:06 pm

Yes it has levels.

1. Run nothing without fire alarm

2. Run almost nothing without fire alarm and dim the screen

3. Run almost nothing without fire alarm and don't dim the screen

4. Run anything and no fire alarm

That's pretty much all or none to me. OK -- maybe I'll turn it off.... I like what it does. But I don't like the fact that I can't make it work only for programs that are unknown to me.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/08/11, 4:23 am

Windows Live Mail looks like a real piece of shit. None of the various facilities and utilities of Outlook Express... None. I'm gonna try thunderbird, I guess...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/16/11, 4:55 am

Getting the machine in order.... For email, I've decided to go with the portable version of Thunderbird. I was able to pull in my Outlook Express emails and settings (except for rules) and the portability intrigues me. I should be able to put the thing on a thumb drive and move it to all my other machines....

Lots of settings here in Windows 7 seem far deeper in and more hidden than in XP. I suppose this just continues the trend since XP had the same problem relative to 2000 and 98... And so it goes. Wait till Windows 8 -- it might be IOS all over again with its app store... (yes, I know... programs from outside the app store will still be allowed.... but what about Windows 9?)

Peculiar how the "send to" "startup" directories (and plenty others) can't be accessed directly, but only through the "shell" command... Or maybe i just don't understand the whole scheme yet... We'll see)
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/16/11, 10:31 pm

oh yeah.... I like that portable thunderbird... Throw a theme at it, and get a few extensions and it's a classy program!
WYSIWTF
bob

Previous

Return to Free Beer