Got my new machine

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Got my new machine

Postby bob » 12/06/11, 12:29 am

Been playing with it. I think I hate Windows 7. I'm ready to put xp on it.

Otherwise that f***ucker's fast. 20 sec boot.

Gotta buy a bunch of cables--dvi, new kvm (that takes usb and dvi). gotta figure out what works....
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 12/06/11, 12:41 am

dont' use XP you'll loose some features such as TRIM support for the SSD. after you get through some of the annoyances (UAC and such) you will like windows 7 well enough. Unless you plan on switching to a newer revision of Linux don't switch.

Also check out the OCZ forums and guides on their site to see if there are any other tweaks you can do that are not set as default in windows 7.

when doing your windows score disconnect your storage drive to get a speed for that drive. I bet its around 7.7ish if not higher.

Also assuming you have the room. put your swap on the solid state alone. it makes a nice difference while multitasking.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 12/06/11, 1:13 am

How come I don't have to do anything like that with my
Mac? Gee, I miss that. Just kidding Bob, could not resist.

later......
My MacAir boots in 10sec. huh must be the BIOS
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 12/06/11, 2:07 am

last i knew OSX has had trim support since around the time it became available on *nix which is not too surprising.

on windows its features like Prefetching and such that you might want to change.
RedRage

Postby bob » 12/06/11, 2:17 am

But there's nothing to boot into, Don, just air, right? :lol:

I'm not ready to do any tweaking yet, Red. First I gotta find the File Manager....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 12/06/11, 2:38 am

LMAO yeah. start and type in explorer when its on the task bar you can right click on it and select "pin" once there there will always be a button there. Or if you choose you can do the same with My Computer, Firefox, whatever.

usually i skip that though, i just start and type in D:\ or where ever i'm going.

Once you get used to it you'll like it just as well as xp, took me about a week i would say, though I still do catch my self hunting for add/remove programs in the control panel.

OH disable indexing on the ssd. It is not needed.
RedRage

Postby bob » 12/06/11, 2:53 am

Yep, so far I've logged in about 1.5 hours on Win 7. Getting there.... That Explorer thing... I'm in your debt for that. Not sure why I didn't think of it, except I've been walking menus since I booted up, trying to get a feel.

I'm not really going to be comfortable with this till I get the hardware set up right: getting it to both monitors, getting my old mouse running on it, etc.... I don't want to do without the old machine while I'm using the new, so the kvm is necessary. I'll try to pick that up tomorrow morning.

Got Security Essentials installed, and Firefox and Chrome.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 12/06/11, 4:52 am

bob wrote:But there's nothing to boot into, Don, just air, right? :lol:

exactly, :D was going to get a Pro but the Apple guy put the Air next to it and I was sold on it. Good for development. Not sure how the new ones are with the Intel chipset and vid. I love the Nvidia controllers and video chip in this one. It's like a Touch with a keyboard:lol:

enjoy your new box
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 12/06/11, 1:18 pm

RedRage wrote:dont' use XP you'll loose some features such as TRIM support for the SSD. after you get through some of the annoyances (UAC and such) you will like windows 7 well enough. Unless you plan on switching to a newer revision of Linux don't switch.
Agreed. If you're going to go for light weight then you should use Linux and get the security and convenience. Otherwise stick with Windows 7. Windows XP was good for it's time, but is now quite shit compared to everything else.

As for the KVM, why not use Synergy?
http://synergy-foss.org/

OR this one looks interesting:
http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/index.html

Input Director used to work quite well on an all windows setup, although not sure how well it works on Windows 7 (although apparently it's supported):
http://www.inputdirector.com/index.html#about
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/06/11, 5:14 pm

Those are interesting, Gerry. I'll take a look. Right now it looks (from a skim) that you need a separate monitor for each machine. That would screw up dual monitoring, which I use on my main machine.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/06/11, 10:55 pm

Don--I was just pulling your chain. I respect the Airs... As I've seen said elsewhere, you've got to love them, if for nothing else, for their beauty, just like you love anorexic fashion models.... (OK that's my last humorous remark, not trying to start a mac v. pc thing here....)

On my new machine... No tweaking yet, but I get a 7.9 disk data transfer rate.

Having some problems.

1. WTF is UAC and why does it make me approve every program I install when I start up the program, every time--doesn't the thing have a memory? And I don't see any way to exempt individual programs from it!! What am I missing? Looks like a good idea for security, but let's not throw the baby away with the bathwater....

2. Couldn't get a new kvm today with dvi (local store doesn't have them with dvi). What would I gain with dvi over rgb on the monitors? Fellow at the store seemed to think not much. I'll do some research, but what do you guys think? My monitors will go either way.

3. Bought a couple of ps2 to usb converters so I can use my current kvm for a while. But I'm losing my mouse when I switch to the new machine. Trying some alternatives. (Ah, think I solved it--I had both keyboard and mouse on one usb slot via a double ps2 to single usb converter, but I moved the mouse to my only ps2 input, and it seems to work fine with the kvm from there--oddly, it's a usb mouse, but converted to ps2 by the kvm--hard to explain. I've got a lot of conversion going on here.)

Another note--this thing was made for overclocking. Got the MB Intelligent Tweaker in the bios settings, and a motherboard "tuner" called easy tune 6. Not ready to start playing with that yet.

OK, I see I also need a suggestion for an email client. Something I can import to from Outlook Express. Windows Live? I don't like the sound of that....
Last edited by bob on 12/07/11, 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 12/07/11, 12:59 am

[quote="bob"]Don--I was just pulling your chain. I respect the Airs... As I've seen said elsewhere, you've got to love them, if for nothing else, for their beauty, just like you love anorexic fashion models.... (OK that's my last humorous remark, not trying to start a mac v. pc thing here....)

I prefer to think of it as you drive a Town Country Mini Van
and I drive a Porsche Sportster. Mine starts faster, holds as much luggage, is built for performance using much less muscle to do the equivalent job. While you were unraveling the mysteries under the hood I was enjoying the drive. :lol:
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 12/07/11, 2:01 am

Don--is it true the RAM is soldered in to Airbooks?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 12/07/11, 3:51 am

bob wrote:1. WTF is UAC and why does it make me approve every program I install when I start up the program, every time--doesn't the thing have a memory? And I don't see any way to exempt individual programs from it!! What am I missing? Looks like a good idea for security, but let's not throw the baby away with the bathwater....

more about uac and how to disable here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

On systems i dont' trust (end users) i disable it when setting up and then after i got it setup the way we want i turn it back on. on my personal systems i leave off.
bob wrote:2. Couldn't get a new kvm today with dvi (local store doesn't have them with dvi). What would I gain with dvi over rgb on the monitors? Fellow at the store seemed to think not much. I'll do some research, but what do you guys think? My monitors will go either way.

DVI is an okay step up, for general use you won't notice much. I think your video card has 2 mini-hdmi ports and a display port along with a dvi or two. I would suggest using display port and hdmi if at all possible to make it easier to migrate to eyefinity if you get a 3rd monitor. To use eyefinity one of the monitors needs to be plugged into the display port.

bob wrote:Another note--this thing was made for overclocking. Got the MB Intelligent Tweaker in the bios settings, and a motherboard "tuner" called easy tune 6. Not ready to start playing with that yet.

Unless you are doing high end rendering you shouldn't need it. I push the latest games at high settings on mine with no issues.
bob wrote:OK, I see I also need a suggestion for an email client. Something I can import to from Outlook Express. Windows Live? I don't like the sound of that....

I was just using thunderbird but went back to the gmail web interface after i got my SamsungGalaxy s2. I rarely use email on the computer any more unless it is a really long message.

Though my dislike of google gets greater and greater by the day.

About the Mac Air. I would love to have one but the price/performance/my needs doesn't fit. Beautiful design, respectable performance (especially with the SSD) and reasonable OS. Expensive, slower/dollar, lack for software comparability (with out boot camp overhead). who knows though if i keep getting jobs with after effects i might be able to get one.
RedRage

Postby bob » 12/07/11, 4:24 am

On systems i dont' trust (end users) i disable it when setting up and then after i got it setup the way we want i turn it back on. on my personal systems i leave off.

Not sure what you mean by the above, Red. So are you saying that if I turn it off before I install a program, then turn it back on again afterward, it won't bother me about that program again? What about portable programs? For example, I use Cool Beans system monitor. UAC comes up every time I start it up.

Or is it all or nothing? On or off? No way to exempt programs? Too bad, because it sounds like good protection...

Thanks for the rest of the info too, Red. I might go with Thunderbird. Last time I used it was years ago, and it wasn't quite satisfactory. But it's probably better now....
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Free Beer