Google's highly profitable secret war

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Google's highly profitable secret war

Postby bob » 12/01/11, 6:19 pm

Google has managed to boost its revenues by billions of dollars this year by attacking thousands of smaller businesses who make money from affiliate programs. It does this by deliberately favoring large brands in its search results.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/goog ... -jobs/2025
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 12/01/11, 7:54 pm

ahh.. adwords affiliates.

Yeah AdWords and AdSense is a monster that will eventually blow up. I avoid AdWords unless i get me one of them 100$ coupons

Don't make the mistake I did and put all your eggs in the Google basket cause if the GoogleBot even thinks you Might be "cheating" you will be banned for life from both.

for publishers the other available options like AdBrite and Clicksor have crappy payouts but much easier to deal with and you actually get a personal response to email queries

for advertisers there is facebook ads which works rather well, but a little pricey and the Microsoft/Yahoo adcenter that works but is a little slow.

The best bet for getting traffic though is simply through SEO and ranking. I tried both BH and WH methods and WH seems to work the best as far as sales.
RedRage

Postby bob » 12/01/11, 8:26 pm

Can you give us a little more info about those methods, Red?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 12/01/11, 10:49 pm

the biggest BH i tried was getting backlinks. Basically you create backlinks on indexed sites to increase your PR and get more visits. You can pay people to create them usually fairly cheap. I pretty much broke even on this, I didn't know it was BH and didn't think it would be spam but it pretty much is.

I've had the most luck with keyword seo. It costs nothing other than the domain name so it is pure free traffic. getting on the first page is the eventual goal but it can take a few months. second page is okay but anything more than that you are loosing out.

you basically find a keyword with decent searches and low competition and build your seo around it.

search for "create computers" with out the quotes and you should see me at the top. i got us elections on the first page as well. best used with affiliate marketing.
RedRage

Return to Free Beer