What do you think?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

What do you think?

Postby bob » 11/21/11, 11:55 pm

of this machine in terms of price vs. power (I don't want to spend $2000 or even $1200 on a machine these days. I already have a serviceable, but old (bought in 2003?) p4 desktop, plus two notebooks for mundane stuff, etc)? This would esentially replace the P4 desktop. This is from CyberPower where I bought my last 2 machines.

*BASE_PRICE: [+739]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+10]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution [+0]
HDD: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write [+0] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
XWNC1: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [+0]
_PRICE: (+749)
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 11/22/11, 12:27 am

Unless you are doing A LOT of multitasking with load heavy apps an X6 might be a bit over board. An x4 with more umph per core might be better suited.

However if you keep the x6, might as well go with the 1090 or the 1100 it is not much more.

You'll love the SSD, I have had the agility 2 (basically half the through put) for a long while now and i'm in love with it. sub 15 second windows 7 boots are awesome lol. Just make sure you go through the tweaking. windows 7 still misses a few things but it is still much better than before.

Get a second drive if you don't have one already to put in. at least 250gb. Create a drive image every now and then of the SSD on it. While it hasn't happened to me yet some people have reported that the SSD fails and reinstall is needed, could be a faulty drive i'm not sure. it only takes 10-30mins to make an image and about the same to restore.

You shouldn't need liquid cooling. My x6 is sub 45c onload with air cooling and thats with a few extras in my case. If you can save a bit by not getting liquid might as well.

All and all a good build.
RedRage

Postby bob » 11/22/11, 2:23 am

>>>>However if you keep the x6, might as well go with the 1090 or the 1100 it is not much more.

That CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core was only $10 more than the AMD FX-4100 Processor, so I went for the upgrade on that.

The liquid cooling just came with it--I could have saved $20 going without, but I thought I'd try it. (Actually, the fans on my P4 all gave up the ghost a couple years ago--not had any related problem with it since, and you talk about a quiet machine--you can only hear the hard drive)

I do want a hard drive to go with it, but for just a slow data drive, I can get one around here less expensively than offered by CyberPower.

Here's the configurator:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_8000/
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/22/11, 8:07 am

I don't even have a cd/dvd drive in my rig, don't need it any more as everything is on USB or the Net.

BTW... wouldn't you want USB 3?

How much is the mouse costing you? Looks pretty cheap and nasty.

edit: Ahhh I see... the mouse, keyboard and speakers came as a combo?
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 11/22/11, 8:56 am

Get a MacAir :o ...although not the same machine as the old one. The old one I have is an Nivdia chipset custom made for Apple. Pretty zippy considering the specs. are conservative. I don't even hear this computer. Have never had a problem with it. SSD is cool wonder what I did without it.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 11/22/11, 4:19 pm

Don_U wrote:Get a MacAir :o ...although not the same machine as the old one. The old one I have is an Nivdia chipset custom made for Apple. Pretty zippy considering the specs. are conservative. I don't even hear this computer. Have never had a problem with it. SSD is cool wonder what I did without it.

$400 more than what he's paying for the basic model and much less even at that price. So unless he was looking for portability, I don't see how it's better.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/22/11, 4:30 pm

>>>How much is the mouse costing you? Looks pretty
cheap and nasty.

I've got a Logitech TrackMan (several of them) that I've been using for years and don't intend to give up. But for $3, I'll take it (XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse)--maybe my wife can use it. She prefers a mouse to a trackball.

Odd about the USB--the motherboard says supports USB 3.... but only has USB 2 ports? Doesn't make sense... What's IUSB mean anyway?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 11/22/11, 4:37 pm

Yeah that is quite a bit for just a data drive. get one from newegg or tiger for quite a bit less.

I really don't notice noise much usually have headphones on when doing anything that would make the fans spin up faster, so i usually don't consider it. Back in my overclocking days it was a bigger concern though :-)
RedRage

Postby bob » 11/22/11, 4:50 pm

OK, I see the USB 3 now--

OK, I'm calling Cyberpower. Skip the water cooling, and give me fans instead, and add in the USB 3 ports. Red, you agree the CPU upgrade is worth $10, or would you go differently?

Anything else?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 11/22/11, 5:15 pm

I'm in love with my 1090T x6, i'm pretty sure the 1055 is about the same with just a little less power too it.

Legit Bottom Line: The AMD FX-4100 didn't top the charts when it comes to CPU performance, but the low price and solid overclocking results make it a decent chip for those looking for a budget system build.

I would stay with the x6 myself the bulldozers don't seem to be keeping up.
RedRage

Postby bob » 11/22/11, 6:51 pm

OK, I changed the order--got rid of the water cooling, and they tell me it already has usb 3 ports on the back. And that the IUSB hub described above is on the front of the machine. That sounds a little hinky to me.. So we'll see. Clearly the MB supports USB 3.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/22/11, 7:19 pm

Yeah that does suck considering data devices are usually plugged into the front ports as the back ones are too damn inconvenient. Considering the USB ports are backwards compatible the only reason I can think of for them not being on the front is to reduce the price in the hope that buyers won't notice.

I personally would love water cooling, but then again I have zero experience with it so what the hell do I know. :) Also doesn't the liquid cooling mean you don't need to have fans dragging dust into your rig?
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 11/22/11, 7:39 pm

There are very few to no mother boards that support front usb3 ports. I can't remember why but I looked for a few days this summer for one and didn't find one.

You have to use a cable, from the back looks kinda silly but most cases have the ports to push the cable through so its not too bad.
RedRage

Postby bob » 11/22/11, 7:42 pm

That's pretty much exactly what customer service told me, Red. And explains the $29 price tag. But the same motherboards support front USB 2 ports? As for the water cooling.... Looks like a hassle down the road after who knows how many hours of wear... Course, fans could be too, if you're less lazy than me, anyway....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 11/22/11, 7:57 pm

i missed something $29 price tag for what?
RedRage

Next

Return to Free Beer