This is nonsense

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

This is nonsense

Postby Don_U » 06/16/11, 9:42 am

"How the net traps us all in our own little bubbles
An invisible revolution has taken place is the way we use the net, but the increasing personalisation of information by search engines such as Google threatens to limit our access to information and enclose us in a self-reinforcing world view, writes Eli Pariser in an extract from The Filter Bubble"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -filtering

Now I know that Google inserts ads regionally and contextually but the conspiracy here is even enough to give me the creeps. When you explain how Google ranks and show them forensic evidence of same they can't believe it. They want think it's some kind of Wizard Of Oz thing. The punch line is that the forensic marker they use is in plain sight to any one that can use PHP. I have heard so much speculation lately from supposed experts that write books and present at conferences (an event apart comes to mind) and do not do research.

Kind of funny medicine and practice in the 1700's is comparable to our comprehension of the web. I picked a fine time to quit smoking pot. :P
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 07/10/11, 5:24 am

Yeah: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/eng//id/1091

Although we've always been in an ignorance bubble. It's just the mainstream bubble.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 07/10/11, 3:20 pm

Great vid, Gerry. Great article, Don. We don't obtain knowledge, but only get feedback--and possibly biased feedback that will shape our attitudes as the media desires. (I don't understand your last paragraphs, Don--do you dispute what the author of the article has found?)

And along the same lines, of filtering content, one word: Murdoch, of course there are others, but he's the one that currently represents the current greatest potential harm. The radical right wing has made itself mainstream, and seeks to reroute the mainstream through its ideology.

Glad to see News of the World go. I'd like to see the same for Fox News in the US, and for all the other bulwarks of Murdoch's empire. He harkens from down in your corner, Gerry. How balanced is your Australian media?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 07/11/11, 12:04 pm

bob wrote:Glad to see News of the World go. I'd like to see the same for Fox News in the US, and for all the other bulwarks of Murdoch's empire. He harkens from down in your corner, Gerry.
Yeah I know, so proud. ... where's the vomiting smiley gone when I need it?

Although he's no longer has an Australian Citizenship.

bob wrote:How balanced is your Australian media?

Do they let you watch this from the US?
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/794530
Gerry

Postby bob » 07/12/11, 2:36 am

yep---I'll watch it when I have time
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 07/12/11, 6:56 am

bob wrote:How balanced is your Australian media?
If we are talking TV, then I'd say it's not too bad in terms of left-right balance. However it is very favourable towards money and power and those who have it. It will also choose entertainment above information and bribes above integrity.
Gerry

Postby bob » 07/12/11, 4:59 pm

whoops, spoke too soon--won't let me watch unless I look like I'm coming from AU
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 07/15/11, 5:01 pm

Gerry wrote:Yeah: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/eng//id/1091

Although we've always been in an ignorance bubble. It's just the mainstream bubble.

Yup Yup Yup, technology as pop art. Andy Warhol and his message about culture is dead on. While the science of the situation is obvious. Bob, you asked me if I dispute what he wrote and said. Yes, he is full of shit.

There are no 57 signals that G' looks at. Could you imagine the latency? They get the network node. They can't even get that right, where I live they get the town next to me.

He asked three friends to search a topic and they returned different results. No shit, I can sit here at home and have clients search results change. Depends on the cluster you hit and the load of Google's network and if they have migrated a complete image of your channel and search all results.

Further, a search result is sync'ed and not spidered as one result. For a while the phrase 'Handcrafted Open Source Markup' at the footer of my index page was being synced to every page of my site so google did a hierarchical view on that return. Not any more, so Google ebbs and flows from day to day. Not only that they look at XML and the only way this could have happened is that Google was looking at my XSL. The site runs from one xsl file to execute the site and has a rule for that text string to only show up on the index. They sync'ed that line from the xsl result. XSL (which is XML) is powerful but I digress.....(who cares how it scales to machines, it scales to information just fine):P

I don't really know if I should divulge how Google ranks. But the myths surrounding it must have the folks giggling their asses off. Quite simple really but Google does quite a bit of obfuscation by allowing these myths
to exist and encouraging this obfuscation themselves.
Putting the title in the url and spacing it with - or / comes to mind. Does not do anything for you because your title tag is read first and to search for individual words is in most cases far too ubiquitous. Google ignores
duplicate information. (Technological mystique is better than the truth, a lesson learned from the Wizard of OZ.) The butt head who wrote this book is proliferating the obfuscation. Go Him.

So this brings up why I get a little peckish here sometimes. A lot of the crap you read on the web is not mainstream just lies. Gerry or Bob, If you write me I will explain how google ranks. It is in plain site hidden under a rock, a very big obvious rock.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 07/15/11, 5:15 pm

Gerry wrote:Yeah: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/eng//id/1091

Yup Yup Yup, technology as pop art. Andy Warhol and his message about culture is dead on. While the science of the situation is obvious. Bob, you asked me if I dispute what he wrote and said. Yes, he is full of shit.

There are no 57 signals that G' looks at. Could you imagine the latency? They get the network node. They can't even get that right, where I live they get the town next to me.

He asked three friends to search a topic and they returned different results. No shit, I can sit here at home and have clients search results change. Depends on the cluster you hit and the load of Google's network and if they have migrated a complete image of your channel and search all results.

Further, a search result is sync'ed and not spidered as one result. For a while the phrase 'Handcrafted Open Source Markup' at the footer of my index page was being synced to every page of my site so google did a hierarchical view on that return. Not any more, so Google ebbs and flows from day to day. Not only that they look at XML and the only way this could have happened is that Google was looking at my XSL. The site runs from one xsl file to execute the site and has a rule for that text string to only show up on the index. They sync'ed that line from the xsl result. XSL (which is XML) is powerful but I digress.....(who cares how it scales to machines, it scales to information just fine):P

I don't really know if I should divulge how Google ranks. But the myths surrounding it must have the folks giggling their asses off. Quite simple really but Google does quite a bit of obfuscation by allowing these myths
to exist and encouraging this obfuscation themselves.
Putting the title in the url and spacing it with - or / comes to mind. Does not do anything for you because your title tag is read first and to search for individual words is in most cases far too ubiquitous. Google ignores
duplicate information. (Technological mystique is better than the truth, a lesson learned from the Wizard of OZ.) The butt head who wrote this book is proliferating the obfuscation. Go Him.

So this brings up why I get a little peckish here sometimes. A lot of the crap you read on the web is not mainstream just lies. Gerry or Bob, If you write me I will explain how google ranks. It is in plain site hidden under a rock, a very big obvious rock.

The lyrics here are timely:
Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcENpfy- ... re=related
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Return to Free Beer