NPR/PBS Funding

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

NPR/PBS Funding

Post by Don_U » 03/13/11, 11:15 pm

Well it is that time in the political cycle again...
Should we fund this?

We have this weird idea that the only way something proves its merit is to make it in the capitalist arena. That proofing its worth is the job of capitalists and people who fundamentally read the constitution, a slippery slope for sure. It costs people a very small amount a day. While I don't doubt this is a time in our history for financial brevity an information source like Public Broadcasting seems like a good bargain. The only problem I have and this is true of any govt program is the dilettante social structure it has. That could be said of congress as well. In this case it is clear that the chicken (congress) precedes the egg (public broadcasting).
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by RedRage » 03/14/11, 4:53 pm

ignoring the current news of NPR and PBS...

the CPBs total budget for '10 was 422 million. alot for you and me but not as far as the budget.

the programming in on PBS general is worth the cost and they a do a fair job at staying balanced despite the personal beliefs of those running the show. I haven't paid attention to NPR for a few years so i can't give an opinion on that

if they want to make cuts instead of picking groups like CPB they should cut everything by a certain percentage.

If you cut 100million from one program it could make is useless but if you cut .5% from 100 programs averaging a 200million budget then you get the same savings while keeping the program active.

It doesn't exactly work like that but you get the idea. but that is a different topic lol.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 03/17/11, 1:44 pm

They are debating this now on cspan.

The way this is going down is really creepy.

Local as well as the federal system of govt wants to act
behind a curtain. WHY is this an emergency?

This is sick.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 03/17/11, 2:08 pm

400 billion in oil company subsidies

Military spent 600 million in advertising last year.

CBO says the removing funding of NPR will have 0 effect
on the budget.

Now they are trying to say it is unconstitutional :roll:

*There is some sick manipulation here*
Robotic Undertones

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 03/17/11, 7:00 pm

yeah with the health care bill cost 940billionish over 10 years all by its self. pretty much any cuts aren't going to make much of a difference

it doesn't take a degree to know that the people in charge don't know what they're doing.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 03/17/11, 7:18 pm

Yeah Red, this is crap...

Next 10 years are going to be interesting, there is a faction that wants to go backwards this isn't the late 60's where the urge to be free turned into people wanting everything to be free. This isn't the revolutionary war nor is it the Regan years (for what they were worth :roll:)

THIS IS NOW MAN
Robotic Undertones