meltdown...

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby RedRage » 03/19/11, 11:34 pm

"If you thought all was lost, perhaps in that instance it might make sense," said Travis Knight, acting director of the nuclear engineering program at the University of South Carolina. "I don't see it coming to that at all."

I tend to agree with this statement. But I also agree you should have someone working on it so if it is needed you are at the very least started.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 03/20/11, 1:01 am

we'll see. Right now, thanks to the myopia of our news media, all news is coming from Libya, and it's harder to get an update on Japan, though I understand they're making progress on quenching the reactions.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 03/20/11, 1:50 am

yeah last i picked up on anything the power was coming on line... if i understand correctly that should help it from getting any worse
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 03/20/11, 8:24 am

This is the best source I have found to get updates:
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/w ... -meltdown/

You need to scroll to the bottom to get the latest updates.

RedRage wrote:But I also agree you should have someone working on it so if it is needed you are at the very least started.
Yeah trouble is, who is going to put it together? Also what's the chance of this burning through to major water body? I can't find information on what is below the reactor.

RedRage wrote:yeah last i picked up on anything the power was coming on line... if i understand correctly that should help it from getting any worse
That assuming the water pumps haven't been damaged.

I wouldn't be surprised if radiation ends up accidentally being spread widely via goods from Japan.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 03/20/11, 3:29 pm

This is the best source I have found to get updates:
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/w ... -meltdown/

You need to scroll to the bottom to get the latest updates.

thanks... Did you see the Chernobyl film I posted in its own thread? Oh hell, here's the link too....

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-battle-of-chernobyl/
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 03/20/11, 6:05 pm

Gerry wrote:
RedRage wrote:But I also agree you should have someone working on it so if it is needed you are at the very least started.
Yeah trouble is, who is going to put it together? Also what's the chance of this burning through to major water body? I can't find information on what is below the reactor.

whats the chance it'll burn through? yeah hence it is a last ditch option. It is very risky but it would be nice to have that option available.

Gerry wrote:
RedRage wrote:yeah last i picked up on anything the power was coming on line... if i understand correctly that should help it from getting any worse
That assuming the water pumps haven't been damaged.

yeah there are a lot of IFs from where we sit.

Gerry wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if radiation ends up accidentally being spread widely via goods from Japan.

I think it is more likely that you'll get radiation poisoning from your cell phone... course that may have came from japan :-D

There was a show on Three mile on Ngeo last night.. maybe the night before i don't member... was pretty good.. Seems if anyone has learned anything from that experience is that the lack of quality information to the right people can be dangerous... like wise the wrong information in the wrong hands can be just as frighting.

They said after the fact if the human factor was removed the reactor would have taken care of itself. figures.. stupid hew-mons. ;-)

also seen on CNN today an interview with an "expert". that tried to describe the difference between vertical shift and richter scale. I don't think the average person would understand. He also explained that a 9.0 type quake just isn't feasible on the west coast due to the type of faults makes sense but what of the unexpected? they do design past the predicted maximum.. but it would be nice if they could push it a little farther.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 03/20/11, 6:25 pm

Yep watched your vid this arvo Bob. Very interesting. I was amazed by the part where they mentioned complete silence upon opening the chopper window and then the other guy who said he couldn't hear himself clapping his teeth together. Amazing and scary stuff. I wasn't aware of those effects.

Looks like the Chernobyl situation is another incident waiting to happen due to the lack of the new containment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 03/20/11, 10:12 pm

Looks like the Chernobyl situation is another incident waiting to happen due to the lack of the new containment.

What Gerry is saying is that the Chernobyl containment has a 30 year life. And 25 years have now passed.

And there's a huge aquifer under Chernobyl.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 03/21/11, 11:59 am

bob wrote:

What Gerry is saying is that the Chernobyl containment has a 30 year life. And 25 years have now passed.

And there's a huge aquifer under Chernobyl.

Actually I'm saying is that plus more:

"On December 22, 1988 Soviet scientists announced that the sarcophagus would only last 20—30 years before it needed repairing. In 1998, with the help of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, a conservation programme was completed which included securing the roof beams from collapsing. Nonetheless the rain-induced corrosion of supporting beams still threatens the sarcophagus's integrity.[4] 3,000 m3 of rain water are lodging each year, contributing to the possibility of the roof caving in.[4] It was revealed that the water is leaking through the sarcophagus via holes in its roof, becoming radioactively contaminated, and then seeping through the reactor's floor into the soil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_ ... eplacement

At the very least, the collapsing of the roof would create a massive radioactive dust cloud. Radioactive dust is how the wind spreads radiation great distances. Chernobyl has been building up this dust for a quarter century.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 03/21/11, 1:12 pm

There is no 'best' scenario just what is left post event.

They have already found radiation in spinach and milk.

There is no containing this event or any other nucular
mishap.

N events are what they are you can't deal with
the devil or rationalize it into being better than what it is. It is a big nasty mess that will change life over thousands of years. Half life is not the only thing to consider.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 03/21/11, 2:47 pm

There is no containing this event or any other nucular
mishap.

I agree; certainly this is true in the long run.

And I still don't think we're getting the full story. Don't forget, the atomic regulators (source of much of the info we have on this story) are nuclear power advocates. The journalists these days are all employed by big corporations (Do I have to remind you that, for instance, NBC is owned by General Electric? And that GE made 5 of the 6 reactors in Fukushima.) And the government of Japan, the other major source of info here, has to provide massive amounts of energy to keep the economy going, so they too are very likely to be nuclear advocates.

Here's a paragraph from the latest story i've seen -- from the LA Times:

The company has also brought in a large construction device normally used to pump a cement mixture. Officials initially said they were going to use it to pump the cement mixture and water into the spent fuel pool of reactor No. 4, which is thought to have boiled dry, allowing damage to have been done to the fuel rods there. Officials later said, however, that they intended to use the device only to pump water into the pool.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 4433.story
WYSIWTF
bob

Previous

Return to Free Beer