meltdown...

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

meltdown...

Postby bob » 03/13/11, 8:04 pm

6 reactors with inadequate cooling, radiation escaping... as high as 1000 times "safe" level

Are they going to melt down or not? I keep checking CNN and MSNBC... But no change reported, except the scope of the problem keeps enlarging (more reactors having problems...) (Nuclear Industry fighting popular sentiment with campaign describing how safe nuclear power is -- ya gotta be kidding)
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 03/13/11, 10:43 pm

Reliable so long as you don't believe the axiom that 1% of what goes wrong causes 99% of the problems.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 03/14/11, 2:47 am

Japan's government and nuclear industry, with assistance from the U.S. military, is in a desperate race to stave off multiple nuclear reactor meltdowns -- as well as potential fires in pools of spent fuel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-al ... 35121.html

A Look at the Mechanics of a Partial Meltdown

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/scien ... tdown.html
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 03/14/11, 4:10 am

I don't want to know, this shit is just scary bad news all around. I think we shit where we eat.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 03/14/11, 4:48 am

Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 03/14/11, 5:59 pm

Don_U wrote:Reliable so long as you don't believe the axiom that 1% of what goes wrong causes 99% of the problems.

seriously it is amazing we're still alive.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole quake thing was a result of godzilla waking up.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 03/15/11, 6:01 pm

Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 03/15/11, 11:36 pm

I've never seen info dribble out so slowly, and unfortunately the only info the journalists have access to is from the gov over there and the reactor company -- that means it's all press releases.... Where's Wikileaks when we need them?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 03/16/11, 12:39 am

bob wrote:I've never seen info dribble out so slowly, and unfortunately the only info the journalists have access to is from the gov over there and the reactor company -- that means it's all press releases.... Where's Wikileaks when we need them?

It doesn't seem "that" bad. personally i would rather have people focused on fixing it worrying about what the press wants.

The fact that the roof has blown and they are/where pumping sea water in points to the fact that it isn't good.. i'm waiting to see 500 people standing round pissing on it.

all people need to know right now is when and where to run if you they have to at all.

I liked the reporters asking questions of the American power companies.. "Can your reactor survive an 8.9 quake" they respond with we don't measure by that scale and then try to explain it and the reporter asks the same question accusing the person of giving him a run around when the reporter didn't even listen to what the person said and thus not letting us hear what he was going to say. a shame.

anyway let these people do their job they are thinking about more important things than filing reports for the press. After its said and done (hopefully for the better) i'm sure we will know more
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 03/16/11, 1:15 am

I agree Red. It is the culture of information here.

Just 'cuz we can connect to data, throw a few points together does not mean there is a correlation
of data that is most right. The folks on the ground know this. The media does not know this, or care. I think the pressure of a easy quick answer leads to missteps by those disseminating the information. The media could taint the flow of the information by its thirst for the nearest data point. :shock:
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 03/16/11, 3:00 am

My prediction--based on the way the thermals are getting out of hand: a Chernoble-style concrete encasement.... I just heard they're pulling the workers out... Reactor #4's waste tank is unreachable. 5 and 6 soon to be in the same condition
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 03/16/11, 10:22 pm

Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 03/16/11, 11:15 pm

Ah.... Assange came through after all....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 03/17/11, 6:27 pm

oh yeah the saint Assanage.. pfft...

what maybe important.. in my quick read of some of the stuff. No one seemed to mention Tsunami. Since the quake wasn't the problem (itself the plants made it through that part okay considering...), the tsunami after was the real problem from what I've been keeping up with.

did the quake damage the sea walls that could have possibly reduced the scope of damage from the tsunami?

There is too much going on right now for them to find out.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 03/19/11, 10:45 pm

bob wrote:My prediction--based on the way the thermals are getting out of hand: a Chernoble-style concrete encasement.... I just heard they're pulling the workers out... Reactor #4's waste tank is unreachable. 5 and 6 soon to be in the same condition
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110318/ap_ ... ear_burial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)

Also Chernobyl had the advantage of helicopter pilots who didn't know much about the danger of radiation to themselves. If you've seen video of the helicopter water bombers, you'll realize we no longer have that luxury.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Next

Return to Free Beer