"Gang of Four" in Aus!

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

"Gang of Four" in Aus!

Postby Don » 03/02/11, 11:51 am

After 32 years,  G.O.F. finally made it to Aus.  and I went to see them last night.
It was phenominal!
They are a Punk-Rock band that formed in 1979,three years after the Sex Pistols and their ilk faded and played a Rock feel on top of Punk feedback and attitude.

They did a 90 minute set and then came back for two encores of 45 and 35 minutes respectively. The crowd were 95% 50-55 and were howling and jumpin' like you just don't see anymore.

I wore a tee-shirt I bought in '96 with "G 'N' 'F/n' R" in capitals; red letters on black (printed front & back) and the image & title from their 'Dust & Bones' L.P on top of a new pair of black Levi's, and I had made up a safety-pin necklace & a pair of razor-blade ear-rings and even was gonna wear my new steel-cap safety boots, with my short crew-cut waxed into a spike & slick sides.
But my mate said "Man, you come from the country, you just don't understand how some of these young c**ts get smashed drunk and one could come up and before you realize go, "Are these ear-rings real?" and rip your f**kin' ear-lobes off before you even get a chance to defend yourself!. And also that the steel-caps was an open invitation for some idiot to come up lookin' for a blue!
So I got him to take some photos of me lookin pissed-off and arrogant in the full rig and went to the gig wearin' my old scuffed school shoes...,
... & without the ear-rings. ( a LOT! safer for both of us). :shock: :roll:

As we were leavin' a 4WD had parked too close to my boot/trunk and pinned me in the parking spot; (Tony had noticed it earlier, when we went back to the car while the lousy support band was on and he needed his glasses to read the menu at a little Thai restaurant we had a snack in while we waited till 10:30); and with my foot on the brakes I gave it a small tap to the number plate...;
...it happens in most common big-city touch parking situations!!!
And then this young dude (about 20 somethin'??) wanders past and knocks on my drivers window and says "you just hit that car behind you and smashed his head-light cover". Tony my drummer mate told him to "F**-off!" and said to me, "have you got a baseball bat in the trunk, you should go and see what he needs sorting out, and maybe part his hair for him or something?"
But lucky for him, he let off a mouthful of shite and walked away muttering something about "you aint gonna do anything about it, anyway are ya's?".
Honestly the f**wits you come across these days have got no brains or sense of self preservation what so-ever!!

I reckon G.O.F. were close to the best act I've seen since 1972,
when I saw Led Zeppelin live at the Sydney Showground!

Now that's a big call from me, cos I've seen most of the best artists in the world including, The Beatles in '64, when I was 11! (my uncle took me) The Rolling Stones (3 times), Howlin' Wolf, Black Sabbath, Iron Buttefly, Muddy Waters, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Jeff Beck (4 times), Marianne Faithful, Aretha Franklin, The Motels, Jefferson Airplane, Gerry Rafferty, The Cure. - (When they came to Bangalow [near Byron Bay] in 1980 no-one had ever heard of them and only 75 people turned out to see them - a year later they were selling-out in the UK with "Boys Don't Cry". Tom Jones, Eric Burdon & the Animals ("Sky Pilot"- "Riders on the Storm") {Eric lives 6 months of the year up at Byron now} The Who, Rod Stewart, {The Small Faces and The Faces!}
(I love Itchycoo Park [my 2nd ever single] & the longish?? Tin Soldier rave).

(Mum bought "Puff The Magic Dragon" and a "Seekers" record when I was 10!
I figure thinkin' maybe that would ween me off Rock & Roll?)
{In her opinion we were a bunch of no-hopin' yobo's who just turned our amps up and played way too-loud where no-one could hear any lyrics etc..}
She liked Val Doonican, Matt Munroe and Bing Crosby etc...
(what a huge f***in' heap of cr*p,@!)
She didn't even go close to understanding what Frank Sinatra was about!???
. . . . . and anything else was just totally out of her league!
She left school when she was 12 and lived in an old bark slab house with a well and hessian/cement walls. Picked passion-fruit, peaches & peas every afternoon after school. So really I can't be too heavy about it an' all. They did it really hard back then, what with the depression and war. My grand-dad worked 12 hours with a pick & shovel building NSW's first big railway, and came home and sweated for another 5 hours on the farm!!!! - Man, I don't think any of us could hack that now-a-days! She has told me he wore a woollen under-shirt that you could literally wring pints of sweat out of, after a day on the rails, and then he did all that other hard physical work with a horse & plow etc.. on top of it!, while supporting a wife and 5 kids in 1920!}

Then there's Ronnie Wood, John McLaughlin & Return to Forever, Santana, Jethro Tull, Leonard Cohen, and then Joe Cocker (twice - including just two weeks ago) {at the same local venue just 4 miles away! at the Centennial Vineyard} Martha and the Muffins, k d lang, The Bangles, Frank Zappa (with Captain Beefheart!), Alice Cooper - "Schools Out!" & "The Black Widow"; Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Roxy Music, Fleetwood Mac (who bought a farm/estate (1000 acres) 5 miles from where I was living at the time!) David Bowie, Sting, The Police, G 'N' R, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, - Free, Manfred Mann, & Deep Purple - ["The Mighty Quinn"] (that was the first concert I went to on my own (at the Randwick race-course) 3 years after The Beatles in '64 , when I was about 14/15?), The Stones played at the same course a year later (in '68?), and entered the arena in two classic wooden coaches coming around the home-turn of the race-track drawn by 6 white horses for each carriage!
.-.-.-.-.-.- (very-very impressive!)
Plus Van Morrison, The Moody Blues, AND all the others I have forgotten to mention!

Plus most of the great Aus. bands like AC/DC, Split Enz, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, The EasyBeats (way back in 1968!) Aus. Crawl, Men at Work, INXS, Mi-Sex, Sky-Hooks, Wendy Saddington and Chain, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs ( the loudest recorded live-band in the world at one time, (until The Who, Pink Floyd, The Stones & Black Sabbath kicked their butt!) :roll:
I used to be able to play the "Pinball Wizard! and "See Me -Feel Me" ('Listening to You') chops at one time! - When I was 12 my guitar teacher used to call me and my other mate Kevo ( a bass player now) - "The Professor and Dr. Know! (hah!!)
And that was when I was still playing right-handed as I had been forced to learn that way from the beginning when I was 8!

I did my first ever gig as band-leader/guitar-vocalist when we were both 12 at the local St. Patricks girls school, up on the top corner, and I remember Kevo's dad got us this old 10 watt PA with a live chassis - so that when I touched my lips (or accidentally brushed the guitar strings) on the microphone or mic. stand I got the biggest belt of electrocution you could ever imagine!
It knocked me clean off the stage into the arms of the little 13 Y.O. first year chickies (not such a bad experience, (now that I come to think about it!??!).... :wink:

I've tried a couple of times since to re-learn left-handed, but it or me just don't have the same dedication & attitude to playing. I'm a bit older now (too say the least!) and I guess now that I think about it, that's why I became a roadie for 20 years in the end??
But it's been a great life despite the long hours and heavy lugging and the drunk f**k-wits and clowns you get along the way.
I only gave up after the band I worked and lived with did support for Midnight Oil; and at the end of the gig we picked out two young guys from the audience to help us lug out of the Lismore City Hall and they dropped their corners of a double-double U bin goin' down 45 steps at a 60 degree slope and the bin ran over the top of me and f**cked my back; big time!
We should have hired a fork-lift! - (tight-asses!)
(there was a pair of big sliding doors at the back of the stage on the 2nd floor which we could have used to put the gear straight on the stage and afterwards in the truck, plus it would have saved us at least 3 hours, each way without any f**kin' lugging at all!!!!!)
We had said to them "If you're gonna drop anything, make sure to yell out and say something so we can all drop it at the same time"; but no-o-o, they were pissed and we never should have hired them, but the 60 degree slope & 28 tons of gear at 1.45am, and it bein' the last show in a row of 3 gigs at this the second venue in town made us complacent and we didn't think about it properly (duh!)

If G.O.F. ever come back to the States (or over to Perth this week for you Gerry) definately check them out.
The bassist was obviously the leader, but the lead guitarist was doin' feedback stuff that I haven't heard the like of since Jimi Hendrix (leaning his Strat. against his Fender double-stack and just letting the feed-back rip - It was insane!; plus he was playing riffs of Wall of Sound type stuff and cuts, licks and chops of Punk-ish shite. (just down-right incredible!)
The drummer was nearly as good as my 48 years best-friend (who I raved about in my last long rant). We haven't seen each other for 15 years. And he was blown-out and so glad I bought him a ticket it was unbelievable. In the last encore they put a brand new microwave oven on stage (miked-up and the singer smashed it in time with the on beat (and at random) with half of a pick-handle!
At the end of the tune the MW was a sorry heap of bent steel and glass layin' around the stage with the crowd goin' wild!
I am so glad they and other great bands have reformed lately and it's really showing young kiddy bands and f**ckin' TV wanna be's what real music IS!!!!

F*** Boy-bands Abba, Disco, Rap-crap, Grunge and American/Aus Idol etc..!
They never had and never will be a patch on what these people can perform and do on a decent stage!

Man I am so happy and up, I just can't believe it!
It's like I'm livin' in some magic/manic free-zone... :wink:

I better quit that medicine soon or I could pay a heavy price!?!
I'm also finally got enough money and courage to have my false teeth replaced with implants starting today.
So thats something I have been saving for 15 years to acheive!
It should make a world of difference, and I'll be able to eat steak and apples and food that has been a pain for the last 9 years or so. (here's hopin' anyway???)
Unfortunately and stupidly of me?, I'm booked with tickets and accom. for the East Coast Blues & Roots Festival in Byron Bay at Easter and then goin' back to my friends farm 60 miles east of Tamworth (that I own a share of, that we bought in '74) to recover for 10 days afterwards.
I really am a bit of an old-hippie in ways. I do love that organic/natural lifestyle and after trying Angora goats and other things like growing organic veges and other lovely & luscious post-prandial niceties :wink: .
The farm is now a wild-life corridor, with tame parrots, magpies, wallabies and kangaroos, and we even came close to having a tame echidna at one stage - believe it or not!?!
We've got a tractor that I picked turnips for 4 months in the middle of winter to pay for my share up on the tops at -13 degreess; (that year instead of bringing $6- a bag at market we only made $3/3.50 a bag, so 25 tons of turnips only earned 6 of us $1200- each for the whole period; (bummer!)

I took 94 digital photographs last night with my other new toy - a 'Canon SX120 IS' 10X zoom/10 mega-pixel camera that I got for AUD$139- (normally $249- retail!) cos I bought a grands worth of DVD and Hi-fi at the same time!
Of the 94, (before the batteries went flat) I got about 27 excellent shots of the Band, with flash and with-out flash so as to catch the lightshow.

Anyhow I better go...
it was great and worth every cent of the AUD$54- admission.

I'll check you guys out in the next week or so and tell you about the models of the "Titanic" (1.8 metres long!) and the yacht (2.6 metres from tip of mast to bottom of keel) that I bought a month ago when i first started on this f***in medicine 'Cymbicort'.
I'm down to half a puff a day an' it's still makes me mighty manic and speedy. One day soon I'll have to give it the big miss or I might end up crashing badly all of a sudden (so I'm aware of the possible consequences of keeping on takin' it) But that on top of methadone and 1 cone a month was a combo. that has been pretty magic!

Sh** better go! go! go! Goeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
First a line from one of last nights best songs........
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... ah ah ah Oooo!--- (pitch-fade)
600 people singin' that out at the top of their lungs was incredible!
That was when the brand-new microwave appeared on stage and the singer comenced to smash it on the down-beat (and at random) with half a pick-handle, so that at the end of the song the MW was just a pile of bent & broken steel and glass scattered around the stage floor!!!
-- The Band was stoked! - hence the 2 long encores!!

Check ya's later.
Don...... :shock:
Last edited by Don on 03/06/11, 8:38 am, edited 63 times in total.
Don
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 03/02/11, 5:04 pm

You Rockin'
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 03/02/11, 5:24 pm

jeez if your going there D' no discussion is complete without a mention of the Dead Kennedy's or the Sex Pistols.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don » 03/02/11, 11:23 pm

Man, I did mention them... somewhere in there???
And,
the Dead-Heads never made it to Aus. so I couldn't really mention them!

More editing since last night. - Take a peak!

Sorry 'bout that chief!
I demand, "the cone of silence!" (yuk-yuk!)
I t'ought I saw a puddy tat? :?

Elmer said to say; "b-b-b-b-b-bye - f-f-f-folks......; and f-f-f**k-off!!!"

CU's... :shock:
Don

Postby Don » 03/06/11, 10:50 pm

Don wrote:< Incidentally, 'EYE' found  out  what  that;  "NON BREAKING SPACE";  code     is !?  :wink:
#####################################

Fark!!!!   How the heck did that..  ^^^^  happen???
And  it even sneaked in front of Gerry's 'well thought out'  reply!!
{Now that's really wierd!!!!?}

I didn't mean to quote me f***in' self!
Last edited by Don on 03/08/11, 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don

Re: "Gang of Four" in Aus!

Postby Gerry » 03/07/11, 2:36 am

Don wrote:And then this young dude (about 20 somethin'??) wanders past and knocks on my drivers window and says "you just hit that car behind you and smashed his head-light cover". Tony my drummer mate told him to "F**-off!" and said to me, "have you got a baseball bat in the trunk, you should go and see what he needs sorting out, and maybe part his hair for him or something?"
But lucky for him, he let off a mouthful of shite and walked away muttering something about "you aint gonna do anything about it, anyway are ya's?".
Honestly the f**wits you come across these days have got no brains or sense of self preservation what so-ever!!

Yeah he's the fuckwit.... riiiiight. Not your dropkick mate who wanted to smash somebody's head in with a baseball bat for informing you that you had hit another car. You guys really sounded like the sensible ones in that story.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 03/08/11, 10:18 pm

you possibly never suspected that I was the 'real' "freex..."

We knew. But you gave us no reason to make an issue of it. Your contributions to the board have been welcome for some time.

Stand down, men.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don » 03/09/11, 5:48 pm

Thanks Bob...
( I sorta suspected you's might have guessed.. )
{ ages ago.. :)  }
I been holding my breath for about 8-9 years..
I aint never gonna do anything so foolish again!

I really hope I can enjoin some other pals to just think about,
what they 'really' want to happen with this place.

I may have been a bit harsh there?..

After all,    Gerry's done some 'stirling' work for us in the past.

But...
I wouldn't talk about your friends in such nasty terms...
When I didn't really have the proper gist of what was happening.
I thought,    I explained the situation pretty well?
It was pretty obvious 'we' weren't really gonna hit anyone!

And that we hadn't really done any damage to that 4WD ['city truck'] at all!
It even had a f**ken' "Bull bar"..   for Christ's sake!
How could my little Honda Civic get even close to his headlamp cover?

When you're our age and when young blokes do sh** like that, you sorta feel it's better that we sober ones say something right there and then.. ( Much better than him being told and then to get himself 'really' badly bashed about by some other drunken loon??! )

Oh well...
What can a genuine SC denizon do??

I hope Gerry don't take it too hard?
We do and have needed his energy for ever...

CU     :wink:

p.s.
{ After 10-13 years???, I think i might finally be getting the hang
of using the editing features of this board.

That on top of what I have already demonstrated could be quite lethal?? :shock: }
Talking in the 3rd & 4th person is really a lot of.. "fun??"
You know, I now 'believe' it's not really the drug that's doing this for/to me??
I been having good vibes about life for several months now.

{ So there.. no way can we close.., at this stage... }
{ There's a whole f**k*n' universe of possibilities to explore! }
Last edited by Don on 03/09/11, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don

Postby bob » 03/09/11, 7:20 pm

Doesn't matter what Gerry can do. He's my friend and brother.

Now let's just drop it, shall we?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don » 03/09/11, 7:22 pm

It'd sort of feel a 'lot' better..  'if' he could speak for himself...

( But then,  that isn't likely to happen..   is it? )

He 'seems?' to have a lot of b**ls when he's criticising me?
{ and other people on occasion! }

[ Although some people seem to like, "Playing with Fire"???... ]
[ They keep on going until they get singed!.. ]

I'd rather keep things 'friendly' and 'sociable' around here !?

So,  as you wish..  I'll drop it..           for now... :twisted:  
Don

Postby Don_U » 03/10/11, 2:10 am

So what did I miss? :shock:
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don » 03/10/11, 5:01 pm

Apparently,     nothing much?    zzz
Don

Postby RedRage » 03/10/11, 5:20 pm

Don_U wrote:So what did I miss? :shock:

duno, i quit trying to keep up :?
RedRage

Postby Don » 03/10/11, 11:46 pm

Me too!   :love:
( I did mention you 'Red',   somewhere back there, amongst the detritis? )
Even give you a bit of praise...      ( not that you deserved it or anything   :wink: )

"Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf"   -   ( la-la,   la-la-la-lah!... )   :twisted:

{ at this rate,  I'll qualify for BGH..,     in 'no' time!... } 

Shoot! - I just looked it up,..     only 350 or so posts to go..     for Don!
( should be able to 'get there' in..?    a day or two... )
Don

Postby bob » 03/11/11, 12:33 am

Friends, I decided to ban Don. As you can see, he's just trolling. He's been banned before, most notably when he used the name, freexone. Any objections? He can't get back in again....

Don, my advice to you is get back on your meds.
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Free Beer