Is The Second Dotcom Bubble Underway?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Is The Second Dotcom Bubble Underway?

Postby Don_U » 02/25/11, 10:06 am

"Two years ago, anthropologist Sekai Farai was awarded a grant by Columbia University to study the technology startup community. Her timing couldn’t have been better: a new goldrush is under way as twentysomethings from New York, London and San Francisco dream of making their fortunes from a new generation of internet companies."

Interesting read
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-is-t ... ale-signs/

I have seen this coming for a while...

Was walking through a supermarket check out I noticed
gift cards for Farmville WTF!?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Re: Is The Second Dotcom Bubble Underway?

Postby Gerry » 02/26/11, 7:35 am

Don_U wrote:Was walking through a supermarket check out I noticed gift cards for Farmville WTF!?
I'm not sure how Farville gift cards denote a bubble. Do you know how many people actually play that and other stupid games like it? It's like World of Warcraft for the casual gamer and they make shit loads of money from shit loads of customers. If anything the cards denote real a product that is actually making money as the stores would be buying the gift cards from Zynga if they couldn't sell them.

I'm not commenting on weather this is the start of a bubble or not as I don't know, however I know there are some companies out there who are actually making a lot of money outside of investment and Zynga is a perfect example of that. Twitter on the other hand is a bubble I've been expecting to burst for quite some time.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 02/26/11, 1:23 pm

People buying something such as farmville gift cards that have no real world value. I'm paying for virtual things over and over? That is a fad and a bubble waiting to burst.
The cards are there because they are merchandised with a host of other cards from a company that sells plastic gift cards in the check out isle...no one ever said they sold well.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 02/27/11, 7:39 am

Don_U wrote:People buying something such as farmville gift cards that have no real world value. I'm paying for virtual things over and over? That is a fad and a bubble waiting to burst.
The cards are there because they are merchandised with a host of other cards from a company that sells plastic gift cards in the check out isle...no one ever said they sold well.
The currency you use every day is just as virtual. It wasn't always that way ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard ) but it is now.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 02/27/11, 1:09 pm

No it isn't, when I brought my new TV I had something tangible I traded my dollars for. What I purchased was a durable good that has value. I wonder what a virtual bail of hay goes for these days?
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 02/27/11, 5:35 pm

http://www.engagedigital.com/2009/01/08 ... ods-sales/

Find the right person and you could have paid for your TV in Zynga gift cards, or just sold the cards and bought the TV.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 02/28/11, 12:32 pm

It is a phenomena and not sustainable nice try at the supposition. The amount of profit or sales in the short term in no way quantifies the value of something.

P.T. Barnum more or less said this. "there is a sucker born every minute". He would have loved the internet :lol:
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 03/01/11, 12:49 pm

Don_U wrote:It is a phenomena and not sustainable nice try at the supposition.
I'm not good with the big words, but wasn't that two suppositions in that sentence just there?

Don_U wrote:P.T. Barnum more or less said this. "there is a sucker born every minute".

Well there's debate about weather he or somebody else said it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute#Attribution (url tags no longer work :( ) However Barnum was awesome for many other reasons.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 03/01/11, 1:17 pm

I think the wendies analogy works best..

1$ is about 1$ frosty.. i think i would consider selling a TV in exchange for frosties :-)
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 03/01/11, 10:06 pm

Scope
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 03/02/11, 4:51 pm

is a mouthwash
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 03/02/11, 5:19 pm

:lol: for most people it is
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Return to Free Beer