Comments on DR

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Comments on DR

Postby bob » 02/10/11, 4:45 pm

Well, I guess comments are an idea whose time has not come. What do you think, leave them in, or discard the whole idea?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 02/11/11, 6:46 pm

The current implementation isn't being used, agreed.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 02/11/11, 6:59 pm

When you say it that way, you imply that a whole lot more is to be said. Spit it out...
Last edited by bob on 02/13/11, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Re: Comments on DR

Postby JohnT » 02/13/11, 6:40 am

bob wrote:Well, I guess comments are an idea whose time has not come. What do you think, leave them in, or discard the whole idea?
Leave them in when the time comes they will be there.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 02/13/11, 6:37 pm

Aside from the stuff I've already mentioned about the look of it, people also like to get some form of credit based on how helpful they have been. Also how do I see if somebody has responded to a comment I've left? Unless it's still on the top headlines and I'm willing to scroll down, I can't. So what is the point in having left the comment to begin if I can't see the effect it had? This also goes back to the issue that DR links are temporary and not search able in Google. Also it might be better if these comments could be left before they even reach the top X headlines list. The people who promote headlines to that list never get a chance to comment. :)

Then again, perhaps DR in it's current state attracts the sort of people who don't like making comments.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 02/14/11, 1:11 am

yes, from the beginning I envisioned fleeting or disposable comments. The headlines on the Top 100 change quickly. I was thinking in terms of quick notes on the articles rather than involved conversations.

So I could do this: 1) I could add comments to the site headline listings so comments could follow an article from the time it first appears on DR.

Or 2) I could create a comment board to post to (from each headline) and the board and its topics (the headlines posted from) would remain accessible after the headline is superceded by new ones.

Or 3), as John suggests, I could just wait and see.

Or 4) get out of the comment business all together. I am kind of thinking comments don't necessarily fit into the way people use DR. They'd like the info, all right, but they don't come back after reading their article picks. They go through the lists, tab out what they want to read, and then they go to reading. No need to come back....

Food for thought...

On another topic--could I set up the headlines so users could post the headline to their Facebook account, and see that DR gets credit in the posting? (Just a few minutes of research indicates this'd be pretty easy...)
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 02/14/11, 2:25 am

bob wrote:Or 4) get out of the comment business all together. I am kind of thinking comments don't necessarily fit into the way people use DR. They'd like the info, all right, but they don't come back after reading their article picks. They go through the lists, tab out what they want to read, and then they go to reading. No need to come back....

kinda what i think many if not most sites have their own comment system if users wish to discuss

a "simple" ratings system would be more practical. but a confirmation on voting would be useful..i don't know how many times i've mis-clicked "Like" or "Digg" i know a few at least.. not enough to make a difference but enough to be annoying :-)

Bob wrote:On another topic--could I set up the headlines so users could post the headline to their Facebook account, and see that DR gets credit in the posting? (Just a few minutes of research indicates this'd be pretty easy...)

I barely use any social media any more if i can help it, i found them more trouble in my social life than helpful. however millions of people do use it, could be a nice influx of users, if that is what you're looking for.
RedRage

Postby bob » 02/14/11, 3:24 am

Just brainstorming.... Maybe I could do a "like" thingie.. Not sure about confirmation -- isn't that a lot of trouble for the user, disproportionate to the importance to the user of the thing itself?

Also the Like button would be prone to spam (and by that I mean sites upping their own headlines to gain more prominence--I saw it often enough in the clicks that a long time ago I put up safeguards against it). On something like a "Like" button, a capcha would be a pita for the user.

Back to the facebook thing, I could show the number of clicks the fb repost got, which would serve a similar function.

could be a nice influx of users, if that is what you're looking for.

You bet...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 02/15/11, 9:09 pm

ok, comments are gone.

I think Red is right--most of the sites the headlines point to have their own comment system.

John, I respect your point, but I didn't want to leave them up because the lack of comments just don't look good. Makes the site look deserted. On the other hand, with 5000-6000 visitors a day, I don't understand why we got none.... Even if the format is not amenable, that seems a little low. None--as far as I could see, the only ones that commented on the headlines were me, Gerry, Don_u, Red...

Gerry---maybe a better system later. A message board, or some other way to allow the commentry to be less fleeting.

OK, my next plan for now--try for a little facebook integration.
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Free Beer