Toyota and NASA WTF!?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby bob » 02/14/11, 4:09 pm

And then I'm goin' to the East Coast Blues Festival at the end of April - featuring, Bob Dylan, BB King, ZZ Top, Blind Boys of Alabama featuring Aaron Neville, Jeff Lang, Elvis Costello & The Impo

I hope Dylan's better than he was on TV last night...

And who could forget "The Small Faces" with Rod, Ronnie & the boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzcF0v1eOE
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/14/11, 11:13 pm

you missed Stevie Ray!

I've always wanted to learn drums but everywhere i live i always seem to have the neighbors who would object. Been thinking bout grabbing some them there electronic types and just plug in but... it doesn't feel quite right.. though may do it anyway sometime before i get too old ;-) then again seeing how i have trouble walking to the store and back (a block away) duno if i can... eh we'll see.

since i started getting sick and bouts of feeling sorry for myself, picking up the guitar always seems to help out... well less i start play'n that emo junk then its a crap shoot lol.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 02/15/11, 8:58 am

Red, I guess we don't have a GOVT that is agile or responsive. I heard a congressman talk about getting a
trade agreement with S. Korea!? We don't have one now
and none in the foreseeable future. Which means that while Kia and Hyundai build product here import product here we have no way of reciprocating trade or controlling imports with them. Being free doesn't mean screwing ourselves.

In the 70's both Nissan and Toyota were fined for product dumping. When are we going to take care of our own and when did that become a crime or undesirable?

It has become the land of the free for everybody but the ppl who live here.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/16/11, 1:43 am

in fact there is a trade agreement of sorts on the table waiting to be ratified with South Korea

Wikipedia wrote:Upon ratification by each nation's legislatures, the treaty will eliminate 95% of each nation's tariffs on goods within five years, and also create new protections for multinational financial services and other firms.

Wikipedia wrote:Significant concessions were granted to the U.S. on trade in automobiles; tariff reductions for Korean automobiles were delayed for five years, and U.S. autos were granted broader access to the Korean market. At the same time, the negotiators agreed to set aside disagreements over U.S. beef exports for the time being. The deal was supported by Ford Motor Company, as well as the United Autoworkers Union, both of which had previously opposed the agreement.

It seems your concerns have already been addressed, A little slow maybe

Also, if there is no trade agreement there is some sort of tariffs, if i remember correctly.

If we want the product and willing to pay for it and they're willing to ship it here then great for us and them.

If they don't want our product.. well then you make a trade agreement that would make it easier for us to send a product over with the hope that it will catch on.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 02/16/11, 4:33 am

So complicated, we actually have Hyundai plants here.

I guess we are slow to respond too, Detroit was way slow to respond to global markets. heh I have a dinosaur in the barn. A '73 Fury 3 with a 318 in it. Seats 9 comfortably no shit. Engine compartment is big enough to stand in and still have room for the engine :lol:

But we wanted the product or it would not be here.
Living in the land of Detroit Iron rubs off on you, there is a pride about it that is hard to escape you defend it and an industry that was slow to compete and respond to change. There is a lot of romance in Detroit iron not the unibody crap they make now but a 1965 Mustang, a Tbird, an off the line Chevy Nova SS396 that was drag strip ready, a Chevelle 454 stock out of the box that could run the quarter, A Plymouth Roadrunner or Dodge Challenger or my favorite an AMX two seater Javelin. You never had a rush until you went hill climbing in a Jeep CJ5.

To have witnessed what we were and what we are now does not seem right my friend, no not at all.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Previous

Return to Free Beer