Toyota and NASA WTF!?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Toyota and NASA WTF!?

Postby Don_U » 02/10/11, 11:43 am

Now we are testing Toyota's using NASA?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-0 ... probe.html

Nice, too bad we can't help our American manufacturers before they were on the brink. We have sold out.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/10/11, 11:16 pm

NASA, at the request of NHTSA, which regulates auto safety, began a review in March of electronic throttle control systems in Toyota cars and trucks. The company underwent a series of U.S. congressional hearings, which included testimony from President Akio Toyoda on how the flaws occurred.

Electronic Throttle Control

NHTSA received 9,698 vehicle owner reports of unintended acceleration from 2000 to 2010, of which 3,054, or 31 percent, involved Toyota models, NASA said in the report. Complaints about Toyotas didn’t increase after the company introduced electronic throttle control, starting with its 2002 model year Camry.

NASA studied whether electromagnetic interference may have caused unintended acceleration, which may be linked to 89 deaths in 71 crashes since 2000, according to the auto-safety agency. NASA investigators used Chrysler Group LLC’s test facility in Auburn Hills, Michigan, for its vehicle testing work and bombarded vehicles with electromagnetic radiation, the Transportation Department said.

Mechanical components were tested at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.

Selling out or acting in the best interest of consumers.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 02/11/11, 1:23 pm

Long as NASA and our federal Govt did not pay for it no problem, Red. The Govt made a huge deal out of it and by the press conference the Govt all but said that there could be nothing wrong with that component yet they have had problems. So now the Govt says when your accelerator sticks it absolutely positively could not be the module.

Toyota is sucking a big mean one here too. As a result they are building a huge safety center here in MI. 50,000,000 worth, whats all that about? Sounds like a concession to me.

Why do we back the off shore auto manufacturers all the time? Allow them generous breaks (no pun intended) on on getting product into our country. Get huge tax breaks look the other way when a Kia Rio need its timing needs belt changed every 50,000 miles? No recall for that...There has to be other defects a well.

I am tired of off shore auto interests getting breaks while our own auto industry gets dragged through the mud any chance the Govt gets and by giving all these breaks they have created a market that is less than competitive for US manufacturers. ha ha I wonder if Chrysler had any say if the GOVT used their test facility?

We are getting really choosy about what kind of capitalism our republic will back.

Whatsupwithdat? Whatsupwithdat?
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 02/11/11, 1:38 pm

Oh YEAH WE DID PAY FOR THAT!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+ ... a+Vehicles

Now we are going to pay for a study that will help Toyota build better cars giving then a real as well as a perceived consumer advantage.

WHAT BULLSHIT!

We bitch about immigration, about giving someone who is born here from foreign nationals a chance at an education and contributing to the fabric of America yet bend over backwards to help foreign interests...

Big sign out in front of Amerika:
"We suck dick for foreign cash"

Even hookers are not that garish.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 02/11/11, 1:47 pm

Where did you get this from?

"NHTSA received 9,698 vehicle owner reports of unintended acceleration from 2000 to 2010, of which 3,054, or 31 percent, involved Toyota models, NASA said in the report. Complaints about Toyotas didn’t increase after the company introduced electronic throttle control, starting with its 2002 model year Camry. "

There is a problem with this, where were all the other problems recall and press for all the other recalls or action
taken in those events?
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don » 02/12/11, 1:10 am

Why now even your US dollar is only worth exactly "ONE" lousy Australian Dollar!

Now I can buy that genuine Fender American Telecaster, or Gibson 335 and Marshall amplifier I've been wanting for 30 years, for around AU$3000- online
( and that includes shipping, taxes - {GST} and import duties )
[it costs $2300 just to buy a Strat. from a Fender agent here in Aus.) --- Wow!!!
:roll: :wink:
Don

Postby RedRage » 02/12/11, 5:02 pm

You amaze me. you really do
RedRage

Postby RedRage » 02/12/11, 11:17 pm

HAHA yeah I heard of that stuff and similar stories. works wonders.. careful with it though
RedRage

Postby Don » 02/12/11, 11:42 pm

F***,
did I really edit that more than 19 times!
[the first 5-6? edits don't even show!]
(It says I was doin' it for 3 hours - I guess I did???)
Oh my God!

I'm down to only havin' one small puff a day and it's still F***in' sh** strong!
{ if you know some lazy basta*d slip them some of this shite! }
He/She will wonder what's hit 'em! :wink:
8)
- - - - :shock: - :shock: - :shock:

(incidentally, does anyone remember the key combo for non-breaking-space?)
I used to know it, and use it, a lot! :)

I know it's nbsp something or other???

(make that 3 and a half hours!!!!!!)

I think you better close the site for a week or two Bob,
theres no tellin' where this might lead???
After 11 years, I'll finally make it to BGH in no time! - :twisted:
Don

Postby bob » 02/13/11, 1:50 am

GEEZE, Don, you almost knocked me over as you ran past..............!
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 02/13/11, 4:14 am

RedRage wrote:You amaze me. you really do

Tired of sucking balls for off shore interests while our auto industry does not have the same competitive advantage
in other countries. Come to think of it what products
do we produce that have an advantage in world markets? WTF is so amazing Red? I took a conservative approach,
not only should they be fined but should PAY back the Govt back for the testing done, the congressional hearings, and subsequent investigation. Sorry I don't worship capitalism Red. When we get it through our head that capitalism and our republic are not mutually exclusive to each the better off we will be.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 02/13/11, 7:35 am

@Don... haha you'll get through it

I think its shift+enter but i'm not 100% sure.. been a while since i needed it.

Don_U wrote:Where did you get this from?

"NHTSA received 9,698 vehicle owner reports of unintended acceleration from 2000 to 2010, of which 3,054, or 31 percent, involved Toyota models, NASA said in the report. Complaints about Toyotas didn’t increase after the company introduced electronic throttle control, starting with its 2002 model year Camry. "

from first link you posted, i actually read one of the links you posted this time.. cause well i was bored and my fingers where sore from play'n the girlfriends strat.

I understand you're upset with.. well pretty much anything that involves big business.

I wouldn't call a government bail out drag'n through the mud.

Listen, Toyota is the largest auto manufacture in the world. Millions of americans drive their cars both here and a broad. Millions more citizens of the world drive toyota. Toyota employes a huge amount of people as well including many americans.

I applaud the NHTSA ( i think that is the right acronym ) for their efforts. gives consumers some reassurance which in turns gives people some semblance job security. Toyota paid 48sum million in fines. that alone should make up for the additional research NASA did.

I'm not expert on world economies, heck i don't even think the experts know what the heck is going on half the time. But i do know people and i know you don't pee in the pool unless you are prepared for the consequences.

Just looking.. the US manufactures are 2 and 4 are the largest by output... seems they are doing fairly well. by country, the US is third behind China and Japan. This is from wiki of course cause it was first in a quick google search and didn't wana take the time to look at other sources. Still nothing to shake a stick at.

BTW i love the remark comparing legal (most of the time anyway) business practice to illegal acts.. gave me a chuckle.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 02/13/11, 11:47 am

I wouldn't call a government bail out drag'n through the mud.

Would not have needed it if our government looked after
our automotive interests like the Japanese or others do theirs. "The land of the free" does not translate to please come take advantage of our freedom to exploit us. So what is illegal or not has come to mean more than what is ethical. What is law should reflect what is ethical or we are as bad as any totalitarian regime.

What happened to ethics?

We are becoming regressive with respect to our own people.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 02/13/11, 12:33 pm

my fingers where sore from play'n the girlfriends strat

You mean "Stradivarius" of course?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 02/13/11, 10:16 pm

bob wrote:
my fingers where sore from play'n the girlfriends strat

You mean "Stradivarius" of course?

She never plays her guitar so i sorta, "borrowed" it cause i'm putting off restringing mine ;-)

In fact i just ordered another guitar this time a bass.. just an el'cheapo one that i happened to see on amazon.. this would make 7 guitars.... /sigh well 8 but it really doesn't count cause the neck busted and my mother has it.

anyway...

I wonder if China is thinking the same thing about GM or Ford. Seeing how Ford sales in China rose 40% and GM sold more autos in China than in the US last year alone.

I tell you what. for arguments sake, lets say some of the tax breaks are lifted or tariffs increased. what happens then? It's simple really, the cost gets passed on through the system until it eventually hits the the consumer resulting in a rise in cost across the board even in domestic products.

Even with current tariffs and general shipping costs they are able to keep a similar price point as domestic autos, which one would think would put them at a disadvantage. With out looking up specific numbers, it suggests the cost of labor and materials is cheaper for them.

Explaining cheaper cost in labor is fairly easy, we hear it all the time. Minimum wage is next to nothing if it exists at all where the product is made, while here it drives up the cost of skilled labor. Of course the Unions who work for our labor industries for better benefits and pay.

Things like materials have to be shipped in. Other countries like china for example don't have much of a problem with this, while here in the US a great number of steel mills have been closed for decades. Just look at one of the great steel towns of the last century, Pittsburgh. There are other materials such as plastics and aluminum

Lets also not forget about energy costs.

But this can also be done by domestic companies like Ford who also has factories in Thailand, Philippines, Mexico to name a few where the cost is much cheaper not only in labor but materials, all they have to do is FedEx the parts to Detroit and put the car together and say its made in America. Seeing how Americans are really the only people who care if there is a "Made in America" sticker is on it or not, they don't need many factories here. My quick eyeballing of Ford Facilities put at 25-30 in the US and 60+ in other countries where parts/autos are made. Not including research facilities.

So you are probably right about that research facility you mentioned, I bet it was some sort of concession or for publicity. It is the only reasonable reason i could find that an international company would want to build any sort of presence in the US.

So back to the original story, It's only natural that something like this would happen we have numerous safety agencies doing testing on products that may or may not be safe. If an agency does not think a companies internal testing was good enough or feel they are inaccurate for whatever reason, then taking it on them selves is a logical next step for right or wrong.
RedRage

Next

Return to Free Beer