I need help...

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

I need help...

Postby bob » 02/04/11, 3:32 am

I've been trying to create a comic strip like word balloon small enough to fit in those parenthesis for comments next to the headlines. Trouble is, I can't seem to make one small enough. (Maybe just not the right tools here--very old version of PSP.) I just come up with blobs. Here's what I need: just a red speech balloon outline on a transparent background. Something Like this:

http://all-free-download.com/free-vecto ... 23003.html

But with the balloon a little flatter and the arrow pointing to the left.

The text of the number (of comments) is 9 point, so that should probably be the maximum height of the balloon. A little smaller might be better. The text of the question mark in there now is 7 pt, and that might be ideal. Should be as lightweight as possible.,... The reason I want it red is that will show up on all four of the possible DR background colors.

Can one of you graphics gurus out there help me out?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 02/04/11, 10:37 pm

What about this:
http://www.uhleeka.com/demo/bubbletip/

It changes to fit the size of your text and looks quite purty.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 02/04/11, 10:44 pm

pretty yes--useful for me, no. I need something to indicate a comment box without a mouseover. To take the place of the question mark.

Also, note that the jQuery tooltip won't work if you're too close to the top, bottom, side, etc. It doesn't adjust itself based on the context. You have to hardwire the deltaDirection for 'up,' 'down' etc.
WYSIWTF
bob

Re: I need help...

Postby Gerry » 02/05/11, 10:33 pm

Ahhh I get you now, in that case you won't want to use point for your text size as it's not consistent between browsers. When you need pixel perfect you should use px instead.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 02/06/11, 12:10 am

Maybe inconsistent between browsers, but in that case good for me since I want the graphic to approximately match the text in height.
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Free Beer