Another Apple Work around

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Another Apple Work around

Postby Don_U » 02/03/11, 5:06 pm

http://lifehacker.com/5750840/wedge-pap ... isconnects

Ya gotta love it, right up there with $20.00 a pound coffee
and $20.00 a dozen gourmet cupcakes. The new economy
in the U.S. is so dilettante and global trash. I'm sure glad
dysfunctional garbage has replaced our manufacturing base. Good paying labor jobs are out. Gentrified crap is in.
"Let them eat gourmet cupcakes!"
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 02/03/11, 7:50 pm

Yeah but the problem comes when they expect you to eat the cupcakes too.

Heh at a recent meeting I was told they were expecting a shit fight when they requested that everybody started using Macs.

I replied with "What? Why? Huh?".

They incorrectly assumed I meant "Why would there be a shit fight?" and proceeded with... "Well what would you think if we asked you to use a Mac for development?"

Again I was baffled by the question as I couldn't think of a good reason why they would want to do this. I replied with "SHIT NO! I use Linux and you're crazy if you think I'd switch to something lesser for development." An emotional defensive stance, but then I followed it up with... "Why would you want to do that though? I don't get it. What is the point? The last dev team I was managing everybody used whatever they liked in terms of OS and machine and this wasn't a problem as all our dev tools were open source and multi platform so it didn't make a difference what OS somebody was using." After this they suggested that I could still run Linux on a Mac though, but they never answered my "Why?" and then switched topics.

If I wasn't left so speechless I would have pressed the issue harder and made them explain the benefits of this brilliant idea, but yeah I was a caught off guard as there didn't seem to be a logical basis to their suggestions despite them normally being quite logical.

Too much Kool-Aid me thinks. But still, it's scary to think how well Apple's advertising has worked, when logical people stop making logical decisions when it comes to Apple. I see a strong parallel to something else, however to not derail this topic I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by Gerry on 02/04/11, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 02/04/11, 2:01 am

nope please derail away I am interested. I think I know where you are going and have something to add. Like a machine makes a person smarter, what BS. I can't believe we agree on something. :lol:
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 02/04/11, 10:31 pm

Don_U wrote:nope please derail away I am interested. I think I know where you are going and have something to add. Like a machine makes a person smarter, what BS. I can't believe we agree on something. :lol:
Yeah that's why I wanted to leave it there and not go any further as the next part isn't something we agree on.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 02/05/11, 1:15 am

There is a certain ritual or liturgy to the cult of Mac.

To believe that a machine or certain text editor makes you smarter or that your work is better is nonsense. They get a deal on some machines? This could just be a money
thing.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 02/05/11, 10:35 pm

Don_U wrote:There is a certain ritual or liturgy to the cult of Mac.

To believe that a machine or certain text editor makes you smarter or that your work is better is nonsense. They get a deal on some machines? This could just be a money
thing.
A discounted Mac is a normally priced computer though. ;)
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 02/07/11, 2:23 am

true - You do know the code base for the OS is a FreeBSD
variant of Darwin.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 02/07/11, 2:47 am

Don_U wrote:true - You do know the code base for the OS is a FreeBSD variant of Darwin.
I knew it was Unix based, but didn't know exactly what. My issue with Apple is the style over function design that guides all their decisions and the willingness to lock in or screw over users to benefit themselves. I bet it won't be long before OSX uses the app store as it's exclusive method of installing apps.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 02/07/11, 4:08 am

Actually for a file browser they use navigation methods
similar to Gnome with some twists and their own UI language along with Objective C. A good API but yup all Mac.

Yeah, they lock you in when Mac started using Intel chips
I owned a Mac keyboard USB that would not be recognized by Win. I pulled it out when I switched OS and it works with Ubuntu right down to the CD eject button!

Nifty!
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Return to Free Beer