New DR Feature

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 01/24/11, 4:27 am

done--now we'll see....

Non-default users are getting an announcement of the new feature.

Two things I've held off on: 1) Tying DR user name to form... Not necessary, but convenient. Give me some time.

2) Revising the pop-up css much. It fairly matches the default page... Give me time.

One other thing I want to do: use Ajax to update the number of comments without a refresh. Doing research tomorrow on that.
WYSIWTF

bob

Post by bob » 01/24/11, 10:42 pm

Got some positive emails:
NO problems. It’s refreshing to see guys enthusiastic about what they do, even if it means they’re not going to get wealthy by doing so. I salute you.

"even if it means they’re not going to get wealthy by doing so"

Hey! Wait....

Thanks. I like the linefeed between the headline and the comments. For me, changing font size on the same line breaks flow. This layout is easier to scan.

And Got what, 7 negative comments about the layout in the DR Comments Box..? But I woder if they aren't mostly from the same person? Different ip's though.
WYSIWTF

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/25/11, 12:08 am

bob wrote: And Got what, 7 negative comments about the layout in the DR Comments Box..? But I woder if they aren't mostly from the same person? Different ip's though.
why would someone do that unless they're a troll?

bob

Post by bob » 01/25/11, 5:50 am

to make it seem like their opinion is more widespread than it is. Rereading them, I'm not sure.
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/25/11, 11:56 am

bob wrote:But I woder if they aren't mostly from the same person? Different ip's though.
I doubt that. But at the same time pissed off people speak up while those who like the changes won't. You'll only hear the reactions for the people who like the feature when you remove it. :) heh
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 01/25/11, 6:08 pm

usage will tell. if we go through a week with just a couple of posts each day, then we'll know what the vote is. of course, using the comments feature is a different story from liking the line break. But i'd be inclined to just switch it back to the way it was if the comments don't fly.

Going to try something else later today too. Increasing the width of the table to see if that gets us to a single line in most cases.
WYSIWTF

bob

Post by bob » 01/26/11, 7:59 pm

Is there another name I could use besides "comments"? Maybe "notes"? Any ideas? Preferably shorter than "comments."
WYSIWTF

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/26/11, 8:05 pm

reviews?

bob

Post by bob » 01/26/11, 8:20 pm

How about "gloss"? Believe it or not, I like that one. Means the same thing as "review," or "add notes to," or "analyze" though it's an older term. Maybe more British...

You guys want to opine?

Notes vs. Review vs Gloss? Or more choices? Maybe "Shouts"?I really hate "comments."
Last edited by bob on 01/27/11, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYSIWTF

Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don_U » 01/27/11, 2:26 am

OK I like the indent but a bit to much indent. It breaks the relationship to the article title.

Looked at source and a

Code: Select all

</br>
tag between story and comment line puts the visual relationship out of place. I had to orientate myself to the bullet after the fact to tell who the comment belonged to. The top news item or the one below it. This breaks the Gestalt of design that says items that belong together should be grouped together.

Also, the source titles are lowercase with the comments link and are in parentheses. There is also no indication that the comments or source title are links. Sometimes underline works best.

Possible solutions:
>Pull the indent back a bit

>Use CSS line-height with ultrra-tiny instead of a </br> tag on the comment line. This will give you granular control over placement. May have to use it on the article title as well. Play with it.

>To breakup the monotony of the comment line drop the parentheses around the source name and use small-caps with a dash or emdash with whitespace on either side to break the content on the comment line. Also a contextual status regarding the state of comments.

e.g. No comment yet [or]
10 comments so far
something like that....

Also I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the regular "Gang Of Four" here. We should be leaving comments to help kick this thing off....

I have a few ideas for the comment dialog as well that would engage the user and connect the article to the comments. maybe improve the dialog transition.

Been using it has not failed once and the capcha is easy to understand. Just needs to be visually tweaked and promoted properly.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

bob

Post by bob » 01/27/11, 2:39 am

I'll take a look at what you suggest, Don. Meanwhile, I want to hear your further comments....
WYSIWTF

bob

Post by bob » 01/28/11, 6:28 pm

Don, your point about grouping is well taken. I experimented with line height, but the trouble is, it adds or diminishes height in equal amounts top and bottom. So the problem just changed scale instead of disappearing.

aw hell.... I just removed the line break. I guess it's better all in a line. I added parens, and increased the length of the row, which helps a lot.

I'm now thinking about another improvement on DR, and that is "Related Headlines...." I'll let you know when I get a little further....
WYSIWTF

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/29/11, 9:22 pm

not sure i like the term notes... i saw it and even though i knew what it was my brain went... Wha...? oh.. yeah..

I don't know you ever thought bout it but you could put them in a table using divs or something instead. Give the headlines a fixed width and cut off the head line if its too long. Use a onMouseover the div to show the full headline then have another div floated to the right of it with the comments term and/or rating system.

this would take care of the line breaks and spacing issues. and every now and then a word gets cut off a head line that someone can see by simply mousing over.

i'm not sure if divs are still acceptable to use any more but even if i was not fixing the width, i would prolly have each headline in one or similar container.

Its been awhile since i've done any thing semi-serious with web design so feel free to completely reject the idea :-)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/29/11, 9:41 pm

I'd place just the number there in brackets.

eg. How Apple and Google will kill the password (computerworld) (4)

Then when somebody hovers over the (4) you display one of those blue hover boxes saying that there are four comments and they can click to add their own. This way you are only taking up a very small amount of space.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 01/29/11, 10:53 pm

I agree, "Notes" doesn't carry the meaning we want.

good idea Gerry, with the numbers, and mouseover, but if there are no comments, how do you show the link to make one, put a zero there? I kind of hate to show so many zeros.

Red, yes, I thought about setting off things with a div, but it would have shortened the headlines too much, or caused too much wrapping--I don't care for the mouseover to see the complete headline. Don't forget, mouseover the headline and you get the article description now. Anouther mouseover on the same link wouldn't work.
WYSIWTF