New DR Feature

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby RedRage » 01/10/11, 12:33 pm

bob wrote:also got rating next to headline now.

http://www.dailyrotation.com/comments/test.php

I like where it is going makes the headline pretty long though. how well does it fit on the actual page?
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 01/10/11, 5:32 pm

not sure, but shouldn't take up an inconvenient amount of space, and I'm hoping to shorten it up anyway -- and at first, at least, it'll only be on the Top Headlines, not in the site-bound sets of headlines
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/12/11, 12:17 am

I've got a more extensive mock-up posted at

But to tell you the truth, I'm having second thoughts. I wonder if just a simple star rating system would be better. No capchas, no pop-up. Just a set of ajax stars. (Of course, spamming the star system would be a concern. I can do ip security, of course...)

What do you all think?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 01/12/11, 1:49 am

@Bob As someone who protects the rights of others I admire and respect your beliefs. I'm not sure if for the sake good information you disallow internal validation. I just don't like stuff like "good article but...." or some other criticism that is not germane to the article.

Seems like the string is a bit long. line-height would help.

@Gerry-Bob a bit of the flu :D

Thats what you get when you write code for researchers
and not the populous.
Last edited by Don_U on 01/12/11, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 01/12/11, 2:11 am

The "Comments:0 -- Rating: 0.0" portion will be in a smaller font than the headline. Not sure if I can shorten those two terms.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 01/12/11, 10:59 am

bob wrote:I've got a more extensive mock-up posted at

But to tell you the truth, I'm having second thoughts. I wonder if just a simple star rating system would be better. No capchas, no pop-up. Just a set of ajax stars. (Of course, spamming the star system would be a concern. I can do ip security, of course...)

What do you all think?

i'm with you on the comments. they are an invitation for trouble. Unless you got the patience time or staff to moderate then i suggest sticking with the star system. cookie/ip security should be enough.

"sucks" is a swear word btw, haven't seen that in a long while.. times have changed lol.
RedRage

Postby bob » 01/12/11, 7:50 pm

Well, shit. I'm this far along. I think I'll just go ahead and finish this, see how it goes, and redo it later if this doesn't turn out.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 01/13/11, 4:39 am

I think the outcome will be interesting. Yeah I know I'm fickle
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 01/13/11, 1:02 pm

Don_U wrote:I think the outcome will be interesting. Yeah I know I'm fickle
:D
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/21/11, 11:08 pm

OK, I'm now testing on the main page of Daily Rotation. In order to get the comments feature, however, you have to have 100 Top Headlines included in your feature set. In other words, it's not on the Top 10, or 25 etc, but only on the Top 100 option while I test it, and gauge for interest.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/22/11, 9:39 pm

Instead of saying "Comments: none" couldn't it say "Comments: 0" which would take up less space and gives a clue to it being a counter.

Also do you have a count of the number of people who are accessing the top 100 list on a daily basis? Otherwise I'm not sure how you are going to gauge success or failure.

Also I don't know about others, but I stop reading each line as soon as I hit the left bracket (where the site name starts), so I'm not sure how noticeable this new addition will be to those who haven't read this thread. There is no mention of the new addition at the top of the page and the comment section isn't very visible, so there is no reason for people to think you have made any changes to functionality that they should be looking out for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness
"Inattentional blindness, also known as perceptual blindness, is the phenomenon of not being able to perceive things that are in plain sight. This can be a result of having no internal frame of reference to perceive the unseen objects, or it can be the result of the mental focus or attention which cause mental distractions."
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/23/11, 12:41 am

I'm still just testing, Gerry. I'll "announce" it later.

BTW, I decided to leave the Ratings part out. It just sucked, for what it was, and how difficult it was to exercise on the user's part.

Easy enough to change "none" to "0." I was thinking about that too.

I think I'll also tie the DR user name into the form.

About gauging the response: the most important gauge will be usage. Just need to look at the db to see how many comments were posted. Also I can easily run a search and see how many 100 headline users have logged in recently.

In line with all that, I just received the following email:

Hi, Love(d) your site. It's been my source for a quick scan of IT news in the mornings for years now. The primary reason I like it so much is the clean, simple layout. Easy to read through quickly in one easy pass, picking out keywords and ignoring the fluff. Sadly, that's not the case any more -- the addition of the "comments ratings" breaks the flow and makes it much harder to scan. I feel like I'm tripping over a rug every time the font size changes at the end of the piece. I understand that many folks may like the additional tags, but the primary value of your site for me was its stark, spare simplicity, and that's gone. Kinda like when Google added background images -- If I wanted that, I'd go to Bing.

So we'll see. Right now I just want to perfect the thing. Whether we actually use it or not can be decided later. I could always set it up as an option... What's your thoughts on that?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/23/11, 8:27 am

I feel like I'm tripping over a rug every time the font size changes at the end of the piece.
Maybe he hates comments or maybe his biggest gripe is the font change that makes him feel like he's "tripping over a rug". Also you ever seen what happens when facebook makes a change to their site? http://www.google.com/search?q=hate+new+facebook
Every change there will be at least 10 new groups that spring up each with millions of users. There is never a group that says they love the new Facebook. I usually like the changes but no way am I inclined to create a group about it.

Also the design still doesn't match the page.

Still I've gotta admit, nobody has used comments yet except the two of us and the "tripping over" comment means that they are visible to some.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/23/11, 6:15 pm

we'll see. Still thinking about Optional (opt-out), and I could put them on the Top 10 list for a few hours to see what happens.... That's what the majority of visitors have.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/23/11, 9:38 pm

OK, here's what I'll do. I'll have it all set up for Monday morning CST. That's one of our busiest times. It'll be set up as default with comments. But I'll allow users to opt out. We'll test it and see how much action we get. If it doesn't get much play, we'll give it some time, and see how it goes.
WYSIWTF
bob

PreviousNext

Return to Free Beer