Really?

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Really?

Postby Don_U » 12/31/10, 2:40 pm

This quote just blew me away.

"xxxx xxxx is a Web developer in Institutional Marketing at xxxx. She graduated from xxxx in 2008 with a bachelor of arts degree in classics with an emphasis in ancient Greek. This course of study was invaluable preparation for her career in Web development."

funny
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 01/01/11, 4:01 pm

lolcats
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 01/01/11, 11:59 pm

0.o
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 01/03/11, 6:46 pm

OK, so this was more a way of saying she has formal qualifications, but just not in web development. However after reading the profile, which was pretty simple to Google, it seems she is not without web development skill. Agreed it sounds funny, but still, the context does help.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 01/03/11, 8:12 pm

Many here have migrated from other fields that look at the craft and science of web design as a vocational outcome.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby JohnT » 01/05/11, 11:38 pm

Don_U wrote:Many here have migrated from other fields that look at the craft and science of web design as a vocational outcome.
When I was a young lad growing up in south Texas we had many Mexicans migrate from other fields that looked at the craft and science of tomato picking as a vocational income. And we always thought it was about divergence.....maybe we were right.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby bob » 01/05/11, 11:46 pm

Hell, they don't have to migrate to practice IT. They can do it from home. Trouble with outsourcing to Mexico--they want too much money.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 01/06/11, 12:18 pm

Divergence is a wonderful thing as long as you respect
and learn about what you are doing and not assume that because you picked potatoes you know all about picking tomatoes just because you did some light reading.

Nice try at debasing the issue. But really, tomatoes and design are apples and oranges 8)
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 01/07/11, 12:31 pm

Don_U wrote:Divergence is a wonderful thing as long as you respect and learn about what you are doing and not assume that because you picked potatoes you know all about picking tomatoes just because you did some light reading.

Nice try at debasing the issue

Just after that section you quoted was the following:

XXX joined the XXXX Web Team in December 2009 after working for two years as website coordinator at a XXXXX-based nonprofit organization. When it comes to work, she tends to get excited about things like standards-compliant design and development, MVC frameworks, and creating the best possible user experience.

So lets not bs about her lack of web dev related skills. The first paragraph doesn't mention her related skills, but the second one did. You're not demonstrating as much about her web dev skills are you are about your selective quoting abilities.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 01/07/11, 3:40 pm

"she tends to get excited about things like standards-compliant design and development, MVC frameworks, and creating the best possible user experience."

Notice the phrase "she tends to get excited". That is the qualifier, not that she "researches and develops"
What is a "Website Coordinator"? This ambiguous description does not qualify her. Although the third party monologue tries hard to do so. But the cite was not about her or my "selective quoting"

It is the idea that a one degree buys you a job in another field. Because you did well in one degree you
can apply a level of mediocrity to another field that you did not study for, read a bit and apply it. Most of the professional information they use comes from the web and because they look for authority instead of doing the research and creating it they echo mediocrity and it dilutes what we do as a profession.

At a recent meetup of a web developer group I had a Webmaster (Website Coordinator?) who uses Drupal and the 960 framework how to a site smaller than 960.
He had a degree in another field and wodered if he could "network" with me to pick my brain.

I think I made my point.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby JohnT » 01/10/11, 2:53 am

Don_U wrote:Nice try at debasing the issue. But really, tomatoes and design are apples and oranges 8)
Hum...debasing....there ya go again Don.....ya gotta practice that content dissection a tad more. BTW ask Warhol about tomato design. :lol:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Return to Free Beer