Jon Stewart dead on

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Jon Stewart dead on

Post by Don_U » 12/17/10, 12:58 pm

Jon Stewart's Continuing Crusade for Health Care for 9/11 First Responders

http://tv.gawker.com/5714429/

When will these dullards realize that it is people who make
our republic what it is and not money. Another example of North South Politics. Good vid.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by RedRage » 12/17/10, 9:38 pm

haha beatles music... thats great.

North, South, Black, White... whatever.

My only problem with it is that a good portion of those first responders have insurance already exactly for this reason. the Police the fire fighters and emergency crews. this bill should be mainly a supplement to this.

For those who where there and didn't' have insurance, "show them the money" or at least their doctor.

The bill would put about 4 billion into reopening 9/11 victims compensation fund

There is a class action suit against the city that apparently some of the settlement is coming out of the 9/11 fund.

Also another 3.2 billion over 8 years to help fund things that are already being done.

I don't particularly agree with John Stewart on a lot of things but he has a way of picking the right issues to go after and not only making people aware there is an issue but make it funny as well. First class entertainer.

Personally I think we should give the 9/11 responders free care across the board and roll them into the VA programs and then use that money to improve the VA program. Might be more expensive but would also help many more people with out the need to create whole new programs.

Clearly it is an important issue, what bothers me is not so much that it didn't get through (yet). Its that from my limited 10minutes of googleing... I didn't see any counter proposals.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 12/18/10, 1:31 am

Thanks for the info Red. What we have here is a failure
to collaborate, and that's the way they want it. I like the VA idea. It has to be more economical than duplicating services. They could use more common sense.
Sometimes I could use less emotion, or less war.:idea:
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 12/18/10, 8:44 pm

eh the emotion is what gets things moving as long as it doesn't get in the way of reason.

i had another thought... why wasn't this included in the health care bill? My only thought was that this bill is only partially dedicated to the health of the first responders

in the VCF FAQ...
The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund is part of legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by the President to provide compensation for economic and non-economic loss to individuals or relatives of deceased individuals who were killed or physically injured as a result of the terrorist-related aircraft crashes of September 11, 2001.
The Fund is designed to provide a no-fault alternative to tort litigation for individuals who were physically injured or killed as a result of the aircraft hijackings and crashes on September 11, 2001. Others, who may have suffered losses as a result of those events (e.g., those without identifiable physical injuries but who lost employment), are not included in this special program. Indeed, compensation will be provided only for losses caused on account of personal physical injuries or death, even though the Victims may have suffered other losses, such as property loss.
Personally i think reopening the VCF (in my limited knowledge) is not the way to go, The dead line to apply for VCF funds was in 2003 that program is over done, kaput and not with the times. Use the money to do something useful like make sure these people are healthy.

I wouldn't vote for it knowing what little i do, but i'm sure i could come up with a better plan of action to help these people who deserve our attention.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 12/19/10, 8:17 am

The choices we have now lack any kind of depth. This seems to be true of many things.
Robotic Undertones