walking dead

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

walking dead

Post by bob » 11/22/10, 3:54 am

OK, I've seen 3 episodes now. It's ok, but I'm not particularly impressed. It definitely doesn't rise to the best of the Zombie genre, although on occasion the gore is good....

First, there's no tight, hot conflict. Look at any Romero movie -- the survivors are always engaged in realistic, believable, and high-tension conflict with each other.

Second, there's no humor. Once again, referring to Romero -- there is no Bub; there are no shopping center walkers, etc.

I usually rank all Romero's stuff first, then the Reanimator flicks, Shawn of the Dead, maybe Fido (just for the concept, if nothing else), and a few others. Then there's the 3rd tier.... I put Walking Dead there.

Essential elements to be in my top list: Hot conflict and suspense, black humor, gore. You see Walking Dead fails on 2 counts.
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 11/22/10, 9:38 am

Agreed, it's not the best. Not bad but not great. The creator (who also driected The Shawshank Redemption) apparently said "We're going to make Breaking Bad look like pussies," at Comic Con 2010.

So far I have to say, "Keep dreaming!". This show has nothing on Breaking Bad.

Finally you have seen 3 episodes now? They just played the 4th on TV in the US, so that's strange. Did you miss one?
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 11/22/10, 3:06 pm

hmmm.... I saw the new one last night, and all the prior ones--so I think 3. Might have missed the alzheimer's one. Yeah, maybe 4. The first one really sucked. I only watched half and almost didn't come back.
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 11/22/10, 4:36 pm

The best thing about the show for me is that my gf loves horror movies/shows and I hate them. She loved all the saw movies (except for the last one) and hell she even went to see The Human Centipede. She usually teases me saying that I'm too scared to watch them, which probably does have some truth to it as I don't get the fascination people seem to have with being scared by movies.

However for this show it's different, I don't find it scary or distressing in the slightest, however it seems to scare the shit out of her. Right near the end of the last episode she even said "I don't think I'm going to watch this any more" as it really didn't sit well with her seeing a character she had grown to like over 4 episodes, being eaten by zombies.

bob

Post by bob » 11/22/10, 11:30 pm

The Human Centipede
That's a weird one. Just came out on Netflix streaming. Worth a watch, just because of the odd concept. But not much of a dramatic experience. I wasn't sorry I saw it, but I don't think I'd recommend it. Maybe to someone who savors strange experiences. Just creepy - not scary, certainly not suspenseful. Just a bit like Kubrick's The Shining, in the oddity of the horror. Unpleasant Thoughts you've never thought before.
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 11/23/10, 7:55 am

Yeah the trailer was more than enough for me and then the unwanted descriptions of scenes that I got from friends made me glad to have not seen more.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 11/23/10, 7:27 pm

well good this saves me some time of trying to watch it.
:-)

bob

Post by bob » 11/25/10, 4:08 pm

oddly, not comic..... comedy would have helped.

One thing--the old doctor was very well acted--made me think of Klaus Kinski in "Aguarre: The Wrath of God" (which, by the way, is a great movie--Werner Herzog directs, takes place in 17th Century Central America)
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 12/07/10, 12:40 am

bob wrote:the old doctor was very well acted
The old guy? Didn't realise he was a doctor. Agree with the good acting through. Then again when you are surrounded by clueless characters it's not hard to look good.

Watched the last of the series last night and really I'm far from impressed. I can't believe this guy directed Shawshank. The whole show is very dull and the characters are in a constant state of doing things that don't make any sense. Hell, this even sometimes applies to the zombies! Even the finale was bleh! I can see now why they only gave him 6 episodes for the first season.

bob

Post by bob » 12/07/10, 3:29 am

Watched the last of the series last night and really I'm far from impressed
Same here. But here's a weird thing. I keep hearing people that never cared about Zombie movies praising it. What would they say about Romero?
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 12/07/10, 5:38 pm

bob wrote:Same here. But here's a weird thing. I keep hearing people that never cared about Zombie movies praising it. What would they say about Romero?
I get what is so appealing to those people, but I imagine they never saw 28 Days Later. It too makes the zombie world closer to our current reality so it is believable in that sense, but unlike Walking Dead, it doesn't fail at just about everything else.

I should note that I Am Legend used a similar style, however it then went and made the zombies CGI which removed the gritty realisim it had built up with everything else. I still like it a lot though.

Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don_U » 12/07/10, 8:40 pm

The daughter is into Vlad. From Bram Stoker to that 'mall crowd' version Twilight. There was a Count Vlad the Impaler that ruled in Transylvania. So Stokers piece was a commentary on those times? I always wondered about that.

I'm with you Gerry, I don't get it. To each his own.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones