In the public interest

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

In the public interest

Post by Don_U » 09/30/10, 10:23 pm

"WASHINGTON – Legislation to turn down the volume on those loud TV commercials that send couch potatoes diving for their remote controls looks like it'll soon become law.

The Senate unanimously passed a bill late Wednesday to require television stations and cable companies to keep commercials at the same volume as the programs they interrupt."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100930/ap_ ... ommercials

Now if they only stop pumping red vectors into distortion to get you to visually notice it 8)

Some things are in the public interest.
The take it or leave it attitude of mega business is starting to experience a cultural backlash.

About damn time :shock:
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by Gerry » 10/01/10, 4:40 pm

Oh bloddy hell, they do that crap over in the US as well??!!!

Grrrr. I hate that so much. One of the reasons I don't watch TV. I remember when the govt over here tried to do something about it but the advertisers just responded that the commercials weren't any higher volume and that was where it was left sigh. Bloody govt is clueless about technology or the math required to test if the sound is higher. *sigh*
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 11/10/10, 3:59 pm

government dollars at work.

bob

Post by bob » 11/10/10, 10:20 pm

in this case, well spent
WYSIWTF

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 11/11/10, 4:37 am

i bet the whole thing in general will cost about as much as sending everyone who actually still watches TV a DVR, maybe not but still a waste of time/money.

You'd think with all the shit that is going on in the world they could think of something a little more important to work on.

I really don't think its a bad thing that they'd be all the same volume, i can think of a few times commercials woke me up after i fell asleep watching history or science channel... pretty annoying. But legislation for it come on.

maybe if we all start calling in to the FCC they'll regulate (un)reality shows and wrestling.