Rehab

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Rehab

Postby Don_U » 09/29/10, 10:30 pm

Found a kitten @ my dads place. Broken leg cute as a button. After a week at the vet she came home today in a cast...Her name is Tiny Tim, I like happy endings...
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby JohnT » 09/30/10, 10:28 am

You mean interludes? :wink:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 09/30/10, 1:06 pm

No, the other ending would have been pain and death. About a week with a broken before being exterminated.

Some where along the way I have become an unlikely shepherd. I asked for the bill yesterday and the vet mumbled to her assistant, looked at us and said we can talk about it later. For her the event transcended cold hard cash.

When the vet did the surgery it was about 7:00pm at 9:30 she called me to say she was able to pin it
and that Tiny was resting. She was going home with her for the evening. Dr. Linda was up most of the night with her.

I awoke this morning to having my ears cleaned she stuck her face in my ear and let off the loudest purr. We have rescued 10 animals over the years kept 2 and found homes for the rest. Funny, they have always come to us.

Gerry, reconsider the whole God thing. just look for it in the smallest moment, in the quietest place.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 10/01/10, 4:52 pm

Don_U wrote:Gerry, reconsider the whole God thing. just look for it in the smallest moment, in the quietest place.
Or perhaps you could look at the beauty of the universe and ask yourself why it is barely even alluded to in the King James. I see and appreciate incredible moments, I just don't feel the need to unfairly attribute it to a deity who exists in the same way they would if they didn't exist.

Glad to hear you are saving animals. I wish more people acted the same way when they choose to get a pet. Make sure she gets all her shots.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 10/01/10, 9:31 pm

The shots, ear mite potion, and flea tick stuff is done. 2 days and it is like she has been here 20 years.

As for the King James thing you are actually talking
a book older than the time of K.J. He did a edit. The good king was a classic English Liturgist. As history has it the bible was broke into parts.

KJ decried that each editor must agree with the other or off with his head. We still practice this today and in conservative cultures it is widely practiced. That is the cultural, ritualistic, liturgist side of religion.

OT;
There is almost a direct parallel between The KJ version of the Bible and what is happening to HTML 5. In both cases the Alchemists believe that the format of something will usher in a new era of enlightenment. In both cases the answers are already there, we need to do better with tools we have.
/OT

The original mass produced bible was translated by Tyndale. Untill then the 'good book' had a hard influence from Catholicism and that was a dark time the Popes of this era were viscous and money hungry which worked well for England.

Tyndale was credited with translating from the original Greek. He was further credited for removing the Catholic influence.

e.g. Ist corinth 13
The line in the government approved version was:
"The greatest of these is charity"
Tyndale and the document confirms that the word
charity is actually Love.

So yeah I think the book is flawed has to be.
As gravity took hold this 'outlaw' version was banned during the reign of some Queen then KJ came to power and created the 'mainstream' Tyndale bible. Anything mainstream is tainted.

I guess my faith transcends KJ. But here is a tip about the bible. I was written on levels. The sum of what is said rather than the granular 'word' is where the book has value for me.

As for no mention of the universe people of that era believed the sky is where Gods lived, a liturgist idea from the Greeks. The sky played a huge role in their lives. The stars belonged to the gods and is referred to as the heavens.

By translating the simple word of 'charity' to 'love'
Tyndale did what Christ did before him. He restored the idea that God comes from you and not your wallet. For that he lost his life.

I think your outlook is healthy. You give a damn
you question, you are skeptical, For me I came from Missouri the "show me state" too I wanted wisdom and proof damn it. At 34 years old I got it. I was humbled and wanted more wisdom, I got it in spades. Keep asking questions and be a skeptic. I think God likes people who look for answers to their existence. Jesus challenged God as well.

God likes a good head butt.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 10/02/10, 2:19 pm

Don_U wrote:As for no mention of the universe people of that era believed the sky is where Gods lived
I don't know of a Christian religion that doesn't believe the bible is "The Word of God". Surely then the bible would not be limited to the understanding of the universe from "people of that era".
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 10/03/10, 4:37 pm

Because life and the knowledge contained therein is on a need to know basis. We at best have a finite knowledge of space always have always will. Man's proud knowledge of space is a bit of a joke and has been for centuries.

The bible for all its good and bad was written for this place, not the sky and beyond. Hell, we can't get the hang of living here. What makes you think that God is going to impart knowledge that is beyond our scope?

And if you knew these things about what lies beyond would your life be better here?
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 10/03/10, 4:46 pm

Technology and the information derived from it does not make us extensible or better. Application is everything.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 10/03/10, 7:38 pm

Don_U wrote:Because life and the knowledge contained therein is on a need to know basis.
Well that's one explanation, but I can think of a more obvious one. Why did an all knowing god not foresee how the bible would seem to have a primitive understanding of the universe to present day man? I mean clearly it was written for this time and later as I don't remember the rapture happening yet.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/03/10, 8:38 pm

I don't remember the rapture happening yet

Ah, you missed it. It only took three people though. the rest of us still have something to learn.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 10/03/10, 11:41 pm

The book is about your life. What was true then is true today.(one of those larger ideas I was talking about) The book is not a guide to the stars it is a guide for life here. The Bible uses the 'heavens' as a metaphor.

@Bob: 8) everyday there is something new to learn.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 10/06/10, 6:11 am

Don_U wrote:The book is about your life. What was true then is true today.(one of those larger ideas I was talking about) The book is not a guide to the stars it is a guide for life here.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=KJV
Exodus 21:7-11 (King James Version)

7And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

8If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.

9And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.

10If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

11And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

This is far from the only section like this. Maybe it's a methaphor. Maybe I'm not reading it in the full context. Maybe it is as it seems, a very flawed work of fiction written by some very flawed men who perhaps had good intentions. A book (not talking about the religion here) which is only still followed by people today because the majority who profess belief have either not read it, didn't understand the older wording when they read it, were brainwashed from childhood to believe in ridiculous things or simple don't want to admit to others or themselves that they spent so much of their lives believing in something that doesn't make sense.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/06/10, 6:19 pm

WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 10/06/10, 11:11 pm

Bob's link glosses over Tyndale. I studied Wycliffe and Tyndale not to be a Theologian rather in the context of informatics in history. He published and his brother smuggled his work back into England. I was interested in the contrasts and parallels to how we handle information today compared to then.

This Wiki article with good citation links Tyndale directly to the KJ version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndale_Bible

@Gerry Remember this also time and is time and place women were not treated well then. There were some things to fix. This was before Christ. God was patient but getting pissed.

"And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."

Women should be treated better. How are they treated today? Not much has changed.

"If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her."

If you screw up as a husband your wife has the right to leave, the husband has no power.

"9And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters."

My father loves my wife like a daughter, she is treated like she is a daughter.

10If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

Back in that time they took multiple wives if they did that they had better treat the second as the first. I equality of women is important. How is that working for us now? Not very well.

"11And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."

If the husband screws up she has the right to leave. Except in our time we lawyers and Alimony, community property, child support etc.

Have to remember the context of time and social structure. The ideas are the same. How they applied has the context of time.

Here is an example:
We have a governor Jennifer Granholm all political debate aside her name is Ms. Granholm NOT Granholm that bitch. yet when I bring her up bitch is always attached to her name by men so how do they view her as compared to a male in her position?

Not much has changed for some of us.
Hope this helps.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 10/07/10, 1:07 am

Nice post Bob, read the whole thing. My focus was how two people used and disseminated information.

The idea of all of those people influencing the bible means that it can apply now. Each of those people had their own place in time to translate. Their own circumstance. Same Renaissance different day. heh heh cool.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Next

Return to Free Beer