Bob and others

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by Gerry » 09/01/10, 9:26 am

bob wrote:Saying people are dumb because of their politics or ideology is like saying they are dumb because of their religion.
'

Heh, that's really the wrong argument to use with me.

As I imagine you know I was brought up as a Catholic and believed in god. However things have changed, I now longer believe in anything until it can be proved using physical evidence and logic. I hold the belief in a god, the paranormal or any such thing up there with a belief in Santa Claus, seeing as how there is as much evidence.

I now see my 12 years of Catholic schooling as essentially brainwashing done by other brainwashed people. I don't hold religions in any higher regard than where most would put other less popular cults.

That all said, I have a Christian girlfriend who I have been with for more than a year now. She knows exactly how I feel about her religion and the lack of respect I have for it and her belief in it. It doesn't change how much I love her though.
bob wrote:It's like saying they're dumb because they like frosted flakes rather than cheerios.
I have never tried either as they are American cereals, however I believe the examples I gave were ones about logical reasoning and not just questions of personal preference.
bob wrote:But still, Oberman is a bit of a demagogue too--ever listen to his "special comments"? If listening to Beck makes you dumb, then so does listening to Oberman.
Agreed. I actually don't like Olbermann for that very reason. In order to make my comparisons more fair I Googled "opposite of Glenn Beck" to try and get somebody who represents an opposite (but popular and preferably televised) view to the clearly insane Beck.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 09/03/10, 12:44 am

Gerry wrote:Is this something to do with the Large Hadron Collider?
No thats a hoax the Auto insurance companies have been perpetuating for years to raise collision rates, not to be confused with the small Hadron collid r which no court in their right-mind would rule in favor of, so therefore the Large....make it Big-Size with fries. :P
Speaking of Big-bang.....how often does Hawkin clean his pants out? :wink:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

bob

Post by bob » 09/03/10, 2:29 am

John, you're a nut, but also a hoot....
WYSIWTF

Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don_U » 09/03/10, 11:54 am

"look to the reptillian complex, not the neocortex"

If more ppl understood the limbic portion of the brain....it's not about ego nor the neocortex. Chemical transmitters and your ability to receive those also called receptors play a HUGE role in what we do from day to day. It is a joke on us really...The ego is designed to mask the limbic activity in the brain. I'm in charge damnit! :lol:

The limbic being the primitive portion of the brain makes decisions that are life and death everyday.
Yet it goes unnoticed our ego takes the credit or the blame.

Gerry:
Much of what you are talking about involves personality types. Kelsey/Briggs and Jung both have personality surveys. Most score on the rational/judgmental receiving higher scores in both. It amounts to 97% of the people on Earth.

There are two to three percent of us who score
with low numbers in rational/judgmental but score high with intuitive/teacher characteristics. And not by a little bit. The results are almost polar. I scored a 98 and a 97 respectively on both surveys and a 10 or so on being judgmental and rational.

But the point is why you think the way you do has more to do with the automatic and reflexive than it has to do with rational/judgmental thought.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 09/03/10, 1:57 pm

"Speaking of Big-bang.....how often does Hawkin clean his pants out?"

He has a calculation for it.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/03/10, 7:19 pm

@SOD I'm afraid you are speaking well outside of my area so I'm unable to comment without spending considerable time researching the brain and the personality tests you mentioned. Which probably isn't something I'm going to do in the short term.

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 09/06/10, 12:33 am

Basically we think we drive or have control we do not.

Ever wonder why people run from the cops from the cops for the dumbest shit? It is usually at night.

There is a chemical transmitter called serotonin that among other things controls (along with other transmitter receptors) your 'fight or flight' urge.

These chemicals are replenished with rest. People who run from the cops for dumb shit at night are reacting to a lack of serotonin. The deranged behavior of drug addicts is because they "tweaked" something that researchers and doctors barely understand.

Did you know that there are natural opiates and cannabinoids in your system? NPR did a story on Alzheimer's disease. The research at autopsy shows that there is a absence of the above chemicals.

Doctors know little about this portion of the brain.
When they prescribe anti-depressants they are guessing that the pharmacology prescribed will interact properly to control the depression. Many
of the anti-depressants work as a result of the side effect of the meds and not the direct chemical interaction itself.

then there is this quote from a web site:

"Many years ago when I was at school we were made to take fairly crude psychometric tests (I think one was Myers-Briggs) in order to supposedly help us find what career we might like and understand our personality traits. I never found them particularly helpful and have always thought of the field as rather lacking in credibility"

heh heh like I said most are rational judgmental personalities

As humans we know so little...
Claim to know so much...
Robotic Undertones

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 09/06/10, 9:13 am

Don_U wrote:Ever wonder why people run from the cops from the cops for the dumbest shit? It is usually at night.

There is a chemical transmitter called serotonin that among other things controls (along with other transmitter receptors) your 'fight or flight' urge.

These chemicals are replenished with rest. People who run from the cops for dumb shit at night are reacting to a lack of serotonin.
Maybe it's because it's easier to hide at night. Or because people are no longer at work so are more free to consume drugs. I can think of a heap of reasons other than them being tired. Also I would have to be making the assumption that people run from the cops more often at night just based on your say so and my casual viewing of COPS.
Don_U wrote:Did you know that there are natural opiates and cannabinoids in your system?
I remember you saying that.
Don_U wrote:As humans we know so little...
Claim to know so much...
Depends on who you speak to. I would say that most intelligent scientists, philosophers and others would be of the opinion that you can't be 100% certain about anything. Everything I say is just really a best guess, I just don't clarify that often as it's a given amongst people who understand that to be the case. Although if you want to get anywhere then you have to start with what you assume to be true and then base other theories upon that.

bob

Post by bob » 09/06/10, 1:33 pm

Did you know that there are natural opiates and cannabinoids in your system?

Geeze, when are they going to kick in?
WYSIWTF

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 09/06/10, 5:40 pm

bob wrote:
Did you know that there are natural opiates and cannabinoids in your system?

Geeze, when are they going to kick in?
We used ours up years ago:lol:

@gerry never mind dude don't have the time.
Robotic Undertones

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 09/08/10, 8:47 pm

I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots! :P

bob

Post by bob » 09/08/10, 9:02 pm

what's wrong with that?
WYSIWTF

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 09/09/10, 12:02 am

:lol:

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 09/10/10, 2:44 am

"I can think of a heap of reasons other than them being tired"

@gerry Did you know that there are chemicals in your brain that make you tired? and tell you to sleep.

People don't like to speak of it but your version of "reality" is basically a chemical outcome. Abstracted by your ego.
Robotic Undertones

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 09/10/10, 2:53 am

gerry wrote:"I can think of a heap of reasons other than them being tired"
@gerry Did you know that there are chemicals in your brain that make you tired? It tells you to sleep.

People don't like to speak of it but your version of "reality" is basically a chemical outcome. Abstracted by your ego.

Here you go....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotransmitter

Basic but a good primer.
Last edited by Don_U on 09/10/10, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robotic Undertones