Bob and others

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Bob and others

Post by Don_U » 08/27/10, 2:22 am

Is the web getting dumber?

I found this page on a page of bad web sites :roll:

Published by the Oxford Uni press it is an interactive
collage of words clicking on them brings definition.

http://savethewords.org/

This is a bad website?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 08/27/10, 2:34 am

to each his own
WYSIWTF

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 08/27/10, 10:56 pm

Yeah, that is true. The web seems to be less progressive than it used to be. Lately I can't tell the internet from my blender...In fact the blender may be more interesting.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones

Gerry

Re: Bob and others

Post by Gerry » 08/29/10, 1:09 pm

Don_U wrote:Is the web getting dumber?

I found this page on a page of bad web sites :roll:

Published by the Oxford Uni press it is an interactive
collage of words clicking on them brings definition.

http://savethewords.org/

This is a bad website?
Well the average intelligence would be decreasing, yes. Publishing and finding info on the web is getting easier every day and with that you will have more people who need it to be easy using it.

Anybody can make a list and now just about anybody can publish one on the net.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 08/29/10, 1:47 pm

OK, I'm not sure of anybody's points here.

The web page Don points to is a page where you can learn some very obscure words. Look at the words defined: essomenic, modernicide, scaevity.... all words my spell checker chokes on. So instead of making the world dumber, that page makes it smarter. Don, is your point "why in the world would some put that page on a list of 'dumb' web sites?" Gerry,why would you think "the average intelligence would be decreasing"?

Did you know that in Descartes time long division was considered an extremely advanced mathematical function, understood only by the most advanced mathematicians?

OK, here's a good one:

What do you call it when you kill your mother? .... matricide....

What do you call it when you kill your brother? .... fratricide....

And what do you call it when you kill Gerry? ..... wait for it....

pesticide!

:twisted:
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/29/10, 9:42 pm

bob wrote:Don, is your point "why in the world would some put that page on a list of 'dumb' web sites?"
That's how I read it.
bob wrote:Gerry,why would you think "the average intelligence would be decreasing"?
Because stupid people no longer fear the net and most have their own facebook page which publishes their stupid posts in a public manner for them.

e.g. This group with over a million members: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DEAR-LORD ... ref=search

bob wrote:And what do you call it when you kill Gerry? ..... wait for it....

pesticide!
indeed, but trying to do so would be called suicide ;)

bob

Post by bob » 08/29/10, 11:51 pm

Sure, why not?
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/30/10, 5:07 am

bob wrote:
Sure, why not?
nicely played :)

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 08/31/10, 2:33 am

yeah intelligence seems lacking. You can appreciate
what that is even if in the day to day it does not apply directly.
Robotic Undertones

bob

Post by bob » 08/31/10, 2:48 am

I think you're both confusing intelligence with other things -- in the above examples, taste and ideology.

Do you realize that humanity is on the verge of understanding the Big Bang?
WYSIWTF

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 08/31/10, 8:09 am

I got the impression that the writer thought it was a bad website because he did not "get it". So his taste passes for intellect? Point is not an objective article.

I think it is incumbent, that if you wish to get something out of the internet you have to learn to let go. The velocity of information has changed and so must your ability to consider scope and range. For me, the informatics change daily. I adapt daily to the dynamics of information. I trained myself to do this. I was not easy to discard first impression which is largely static for a dynamic flow of what is next. Free your mind baby 8)
Robotic Undertones

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/31/10, 9:06 am

bob wrote:I think you're both confusing intelligence with other things -- in the above examples, taste and ideology.
No I'm not confusing them, I'm stereotyping. Generally people who make posts about Obama being Muslim, tend to be seriously lacking in intelligence. I wasn't really responding to Don_U's claim that the author of the article was lacking in intelligence as no link was provided.
bob wrote:Do you realize that humanity is on the verge of understanding the Big Bang?
No I didn't. I know almost nothing about physics (although it's on the list of things to study more). Is this something to do with the Large Hadron Collider?

bob

Post by bob » 08/31/10, 3:46 pm

Don, your point is well taken. One has to have a bit of flexibility when so much varying info comes whizzing by, and I'll agree that rigidity in thinking, if not stupidity itself, is a reasonable facsimile of stupidity.

Gerry, the Collider will reveal more (Higgs-Boson, anyone?), and the Chicago collider has been working since the 1950's, but the greatest tools, in my opinion, so far have been the orbiting telescopes: Hubble, and Chandra (for x-rays), HETE, Fermi and Comptom (for gamma rays), WISE (for infrared).

The structure of the universe (broad view) is falling into place. One example -- the term "Black Hole" was first coined only in 1969 (in other words, its existence was barely even suspected prior to then), but now we know they are absolutely fundamental to the nature of the universe and that every galaxy is wrapped around one. Another example, on the quantum side: as late as 1994, we did not understand the structure of the proton but now we are pretty confident of a quark and gluons architecture.... (My understanding is 3 quarks and 3 gluons=proton)

I could go on and on, but you get the point. And here's the tie-in to this thread. This information is widely disseminated, available to everyone, right down to the equations providing the mathematical proof. It's available here on the net, in books, and otherwise through the mass media. MIT offers its physics classes online, including a class on black holes, a class on the mathematics of Relativity, etc.

There are plenty of big gaps in our knowledge (Black matter, black energy) but we have come to accept the time/space continuum expanding from a singularity. In the first part of the 20th century that information was the "property" of a few scientists. (A magazine writer famously said in the 1930's that only 7 people in the world could understand relativity.) Now it's part of the information every person carries with them. Remember Descartes and long division?

The original question was, "Is the web getting dumber?" My answer is that neither the web, nor the people on it are getting dumber. Quite the opposite.

Not sure how coherent all of the above is, but I think I brought the point home?
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/31/10, 7:34 pm

Well the phrase was "<b>getting</b> dumber". Clearly there are parts such as the MIT courses and many other resources (http://www.khanacademy.org/, http://www.google.com/sky/, wikileaks etc) are being created and improved all the time. What I was suggesting was that the ratio of smart content to stupid content is getting worse as time goes on and the same goes for the audience.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=richard+ ... glenn+beck
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Keith+Ol ... glenn+beck

Even Stephen Hawking has been overtaken by Beck:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=glenn+be ... en+Hawking

I certainly notice a lot more stupid content than I used to back say in the 1990's. I also find myself interacting with a much higher percentage of people who make me sad for the human race. Then again, I could be wrong as I was a lot less skeptical back then, so it could just be me who has changed.

I hope you are right Bob.

bob

Post by bob » 08/31/10, 9:44 pm

Saying people are dumb because of their politics or ideology is like saying they are dumb because of their religion. It's like saying they're dumb because they like frosted flakes rather than cheerios. There are other things at play in politics than intelligence (look to the reptillian complex, not the neocortex).

I do not think well of Beck. He's a demagogue.* But I can tell you that just because someone watches Beck's tv show, that doesn't mean they can't do long division, web programming, rocket science, astrophysics, or quantum mechanics.

*I think highly of Keith Oberman. Back in the 9/11 hysteria, his was the only reasonable voice. The only voice not taking part in the rush to exploit the emotional aftereffect of the disaster. But still, Oberman is a bit of a demagogue too--ever listen to his "special comments"? If listening to Beck makes you dumb, then so does listening to Oberman. But the truth is, dumb and smart don't play a part. (Except maybe if the attitude is held too rigidly--see prior comments.)
WYSIWTF