Comments on Daily Rotation Headlines

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby Gerry » 09/24/10, 7:58 pm

bob wrote:Say more, Gerry... How would you flag the article? To whom would you flag it? A human editor? Other readers? What would the nature of the flag be? How would you stop users from scamming the system (flagging their own articles as great, others as crap -- I've seen similar on digg).

Yeah you make good points, without moderators it would be difficult to fight gaming.

Back in the day I had an idea (not sure if I ever mentioned this to ya) of users having to build trust, before being able to perform certain administrative actions. My idea was similar-ish to what stackoverflow.com started doing (although I believe their implementation is quite bad). A system like that would probably be ideal, but would more than likely take too long to implement considering it won't be used for much more than flagging.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 09/25/10, 1:30 am

users having to build trust, before being able to perform certain administrative actions

Something like karma at /.?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/25/10, 8:09 am

bob wrote:Something like karma at /.?
I didn't know slashdot used such a system. I've only ever been a viewer of slashdot. I don't even have a login and I don't really like the site that much. I find their comments sections to be far too disjointed and silly the way it allows the first comment and all it's sub-comments to take over the bulk of the views simply because of them posting first. Even though the first commenter is probably likely to be the person who has thought about their post the least before making it in order to claim that spot. I also find the site to be quite ugly.

I suspect they would also design a karma system very differently to how I would.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 09/25/10, 4:39 pm

I need something that requires no Human intervention for editing. I think I'm back to a shoutbox for each headline, which appears when you hover over a button next to the headline. Very disposable comments--they disappear when the headline does. I think I'll have to rewrite a shoutbox script to allow multiple sets of shouts, each identified to the headline. I'd like a capcha too. No registration necessary, just pass the capcha.

You all agree?

Know any good scripts?
WYSIWTF
bob

Previous

Return to Free Beer