Comments on Daily Rotation Headlines

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Comments on Daily Rotation Headlines

Postby bob » 07/26/10, 12:55 am

I've been thinking about adding a commenting system to DR. It would be very simple. Allow the user to leave short comments on any headline. The comments would be visible on mouseover, or in a pop-up box on clicking a link following the individual headline. (Hopefully, the comment box for leaving comments would be available the same way too.) The comments would not be preserved (I'm thinking) once the headline is no longer available.

Do you think readers would like this feature? Is it worth the time to develop?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 07/26/10, 6:10 am

Well you remember my opinion on this don't you?

If not... it's "HELL YES!"

Signing up to leave a comment on each site is beyond annoying. I'd love to be able to alert DR users to a BS article before they bother clicking on it and would love to hear about the an article being BS before I waste my time reading it. Also sharing information that has been left out of the article would be great or discussing repeat offenders of deliberately misleading headlines so they they might be removed from DR.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 07/26/10, 6:36 am

Yes, I remember you suggesting this (and more than suggesting it) long long ago.

I'm not thinking anything elaborate, just mouseover or pop-up. Short comments. Disposeable.... Not sure about sign-up yet. Or capcha. Too many spammers out there. Some mechanized, some human. But with quick-term comments like this they've got to be as easy to make as possible.

I agree about bullshit articles--there seem to be more and more of them, and for a while DR was getting spammed with them. (The headlines would be placed on delicio.us or similar sites, we'd get them through the rss and then the spammer would run them up through our rating system. Though I think I've gone a distance toward stopping that. There are still a few, but they exist because ordinary readers are fooled by a tempting headline, not because spammers are dogging them.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 07/27/10, 11:06 am

bob wrote:There are still a few, but they exist because ordinary readers are fooled by a tempting headline, not because spammers are dogging them.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, but I wouldn't say I have problems with the "tempting" headlines, it's the outright BS headlines that I have a problem with. I've noticed Computerworld doing this quite often, but a comments system would allow us to see if other users felt the same way.
Gerry

Postby bob » 07/27/10, 2:58 pm

Ifr we see too much of that sort of thing from a site, the site can be banned, Gerry. I've banned a number of sites from participating in the Top Headlines lists. And several sites are banned completely from DR.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 07/28/10, 10:46 am

Comments, Yikes!

I realize that bogus article/headline pairs appear but who cares what somebody else thinks about what I want to read? They will end up producing a mediocre dialog and add clutter. They are not the primary reason DR exists. The wisdom of crowds is not wisdom at all. Just ask Frankenstein.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 07/28/10, 3:10 pm

We're not looking for wisdom, Don. Just opin and info about articles.

Hey, gerry, you think a rating system (maybe 1-5 stars) would serve the same purpose? Lot easier to set up. Fewer spam worries....

Naw--I don't think it could serve the full purpose, not like intelligent comments.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 07/29/10, 2:56 am

Would be interesting to see ratings on the top 100 though :)
Gerry

Postby bob » 07/29/10, 10:19 pm

Now I'm thinking shoutbox.... It'd pop-up from under each headline. Can't find any with capcha though, without Joomla.....

Still thinking, though I've been looking for scripts.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/22/10, 8:34 am

Gerry wrote:
bob wrote:There are still a few, but they exist because ordinary readers are fooled by a tempting headline, not because spammers are dogging them.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, but I wouldn't say I have problems with the "tempting" headlines, it's the outright BS headlines that I have a problem with. I've noticed Computerworld doing this quite often, but a comments system would allow us to see if other users felt the same way.

This is what I hate to see in the top 10 more than anything...

Currently ranked #3 because of it's title:

"30 Impossible Scenes That Actually Happened [Photography] (gizmodo)"
http://gizmodo.com/5643192/30-impossibl ... y-happened

This link is not worthy of it's #3 status, however it was able to get there by purposefully using a misleading title.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 09/22/10, 12:28 pm

this happens all the time but a vote would not preclude ppl from looking at it voting is useless clutter.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 09/22/10, 9:55 pm

Still thinking about it. Maybe a 5 point system to vote. Or maybe shoutbox type comments. But I'd like to keep it really simple. I agree it's an issue that detracts from the Top 100 list's usefulness.

If any of you know any scripts that might work for either of these approaches, let me know. I looked for a comment/shoutbox but didn't find anything easily adaptable.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/23/10, 4:13 am

Don_U wrote:this happens all the time but a vote would not preclude ppl from looking at it voting is useless clutter.
Actually I'm currently thinking a type of flagging might be better.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 09/23/10, 10:27 am

I still don't like anyone making my mind up for me.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 09/23/10, 2:25 pm

Say more, Gerry... How would you flag the article? To whom would you flag it? A human editor? Other readers? What would the nature of the flag be? How would you stop users from scamming the system (flagging their own articles as great, others as crap -- I've seen similar on digg).

Don--you can still make up your own mind, whatever others think. This is to catch crappy articles that make it to the Top 100 because they've fooled people into clicking on them.
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Free Beer