TV... a very old technology

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

TV... a very old technology

Postby Dark Shadow » 03/13/09, 12:05 pm

I'm just wondering... is anyone else as frustrated as I am about how stupid TV tech is? I mean, the screens are great, but we are still using mostly analog signals down a cable line, IR remotes vs bluetooth, subjected to constant long sets of commercials, and movie access is cumbersome.

When most people can stream a movie directly off the internet, why do we not already have more than 50% of all TVs hooked directly up to the web, why do we insist in crowding a cable signal with massive amounts of analog signals, why do companies such as Blockbuster even still exist, why are we still satisfied with IR remotes, and why oh why is it so hard to switch to digital transmitters? Every TV show I watch on Fox.com, NBC.com, ABC.com, hulu.com, etc... has about 2 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of video... why are we ok with paying for TV access and then watching 10 minutes of commercials for every 30 minutes of regular TV? Why are we still ok with waiting till a specific time to sit down and watch our shows vs just activating the show when we are ready? Why are we still using and buying DVDs when you can store an entire movie (or sets of movies) on a USB stick and they are much smaller to store?

Watching TV... it's like a vision into our past.
Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Return to Free Beer