News

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....
weaselfree

Post by weaselfree » 12/08/01, 6:10 pm

OK, let me get this straight-- he's discussing an aerosol smallpox attack at the Final Four and the Mall of America, but the Secret Service is concerned that he mentioned spraying the *Vice President*?

And, in my opinion, this is like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater... that happens to be on fire.
Chaotic Evil means never having to say you're sorry.

RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by RedRage » 12/09/01, 3:09 am

<font face=arial size=2>
I didn't read the artical, i was agreeing with John. Free Speech is nice, but it has to be examined when a person or the publics saftey in involved. With recent events some people are a bit paranoid.
</font>

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: RedRage on 2001-12-09 11:09 ]</font>

Post by Guest » 12/09/01, 3:52 am

Haven't read the article, but this comes as no surprise. The Secret Service is <I>paid</I> to be paranoid. They <I>can't</> assume it's a joke, and they <I>will</I> have a chat with anyone they think has threatened someone they are charged to protect.

This has been the case from well before 9/11. Recent events have simply made thier concern greater.

What is more interesting is how they became aware of the comment on a web board in the first place. There aren't that many Secret Service agents, and they don't have time to read everything on the web.

weaselfree

Post by weaselfree » 12/09/01, 4:46 am

Yes, the Secret Service is paranoid for a living. And they're damn good at it.

But if I were allowed to make the choice between spending additional Federal funds on keeping
one man (even the vice-president; even the president) safe or spending them to prevent the
nationwide mass slaughter that a smallpox attack at the biggest mall in America would bring...
well, that's why we have a mandated line of succession in place.

Sorry, Dick; Sorry Dubya.

Note to the Powers That Be: This is *not* a threat. It's not even a "wouldn't it be nice if..."
Chaotic Evil means never having to say you're sorry.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 12/09/01, 5:20 am

<font face=arial size=2>
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
And, in my opinion, this is like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater... that happens to be on fire.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

He he he, excelent point!
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

Melkor
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Melkor » 12/12/01, 4:34 pm

I think this issue is pointless. First it was wrong of the owner of the words to post them in public. Most people know that it is a crime to say such things. People have been thrown in prison for this. What would have been more interesting is if he was not a US citizen. Heads would have rolled, online rights orgainization would have a feild day. Speaking of online rights organizations, check <!-- BBCode u1 Start --><A class="postbody" HREF="http://EFF.com" TARGET="_blank">EFF.com</A><!-- BBCode u1 End --> news. You are woried about a man questioned by the secret service but ignore laws pushed through congress without public hearings?

Investigations have little effect on society. Laws change things.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Melkor on 2001-12-13 00:39 ]</font>