"Own The Machine" Is Windows by Default

Almost anything goes -- politics of tech, humor, the internet.... Looks like we're gonna be here for a while....

Postby SOD » 12/13/01, 12:19 pm

Isn't 'Own The Machine' Win by default? I guess looking @ the format of the site it seems to be intuitive that windows is the default OS discussed. Adding a nix channel would open a forum that would open the social structure of the message board in another direction. Besides, topics and conversation about nix or linux have different users and thought patterns
than windows users. As for other OS forums Apple has its own community as well as its own culture. I see people beginning to figure out that Linux is not any harder to install than XP and alot more stable. Hasn't Shell City always been a place for new things? The more you know about something the less intimadated you are and a nix channel would expose all those 'defaut' users to a new way.
It is better to be here than there - SOD
SOD
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 12/13/01, 12:36 pm

Why is "Own the Machine" Windows by default. There's certainly nothing Windows specific about "Customize your GUI, great software, coding"
bob

Postby RedRage » 12/13/01, 9:54 pm

<font size=2>
I know when I come here i usually expect windows stuff. *shrug*

Maybe instead of adding forums just change the description.

like Customize your OS, instead of GUI. When I see GUI i think windows.

A lot of Unix users don't use a graphical interface. Ex. I got 5 linux systems i use reguarlly and only one has Xfree on it.

maybe its just me....
</font>
RedRage

Postby Guest » 12/14/01, 6:01 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-13 20:36, bob wrote:
Why is "Own the Machine" Windows by default. There's certainly nothing Windows specific about "Customize your GUI, great software, coding"
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Possibly because 95%+ of the folks who come to Shell City are Windows users, and the site is oriented to Windows shell extensions? It's kinda reasonable to expect Windows chatter in the forums.

If the OS under discussion <I>isn't</I> Windows, that should be explicit in the channel description.

______
Dennis

Postby bob » 12/14/01, 6:35 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
If the OS under discussion <I>isn't</I> Windows, that should be explicit in the channel description.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

My point is it should be explicit in the Thread description.... And in answer to Red's point about "customizing the gui," these are examples of what might be discussed, not restrictions on what may be discussed--software is the category, and any and all software fits in, but let me look at some alternative phrasing.

By the way, I just removed the Help Forum.

(I tried to move the threads into "Own The Machine" -- whoops, sorry, I lost them. I'm not much for MySql yet..... Please repost in this category to reactivate the thread...)

I moved "Help" because the Software and hardware categories are the logical places for help with their respective categories. Comments? If you think it's useful, i'll put it back up.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2001-12-14 15:33 ]</font>
bob

Return to Free Beer